Which version of MacOS will become affected of notarization requirements

It is unclear to me whether the upcoming notarization requirements will affect just MacOS Catalina (10.15), or affect older versions too. Could you please clarify this?

Thank you very much!

Regards

Claus Moltke-Leth

Replies

Gatekeeper checks for notarisation on macOS 10.14.5 and later. In 10.14.x these checks only affect apps. In 10.15 this has been enhanced to cover non-app code. The details are too complex to explain here. I recommend that you watch WWDC 2019 Session 701 Advances in macOS Security, and specifically the part leading up to slide 39, which explains the current state of affairs in detail.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Thank you very much for your help!

Regards

Claus Moltke-Leth

CCI Europe

Hello again

I would like to have some further clarification on the exact requirements specifically for macOS 10.15.5 and later. In the presentation that you pointed me to it is stated that "new Mac developers’ software requires notarization". What exactly does that mean?

Our Developer ID was created years ago, so does this mean that our software will be exempted from hard notarization requirements on macOS 10.14.x (x >= 5)?

Thanks in advance!

Claus

I would like to have some further clarification on the exact requirements specifically for macOS 10.15.5 and later.

10.15.5 isn’t a thing. Do you mean 10.14.5?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

Sorry! Yes, of course!

The exact relationship between the age of your Developer ID, the age of your software, and the requirement for notarisation is complex. My general advice is to watch the WWDC session I referenced above, which go into this in depth.

However, to a large extent the exact details of this policy don’t matter, because the way forward is very clear:

• You should notarise all new software that you ship to a wide range of users [1].

Note At the moment the notarisation servers are treating some errors as warnings. See Notarizing Your Mac Software for macOS Catalina.

• Optionally, you may attempt to notarise any pre-existing software that you shipped to a wide range of users. The notarisation servers may or may not accept your pre-existing software.

• If you have pre-existing software that’s not accepted, you can run it on 10.14.5 and later to see exactly how it behaves.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

[1] Unless it’s distributed via the Mac App Store. Notarisation only applies to Developer ID distribution.

Thank you! I suppose that it means that existing applications that have not been notarized will continue to run in January 2020 on macOS Mojave if they run now. Am I correct?

Regards

Claus

I suppose that it means that existing applications that have not been notarized will continue to run in January 2020 on macOS Mojave if they run now. Am I correct?

I’m not able to accurately predict the future, alas. However, if you’re concerned about the change discussed in Notarizing Your Mac Software for macOS Catalina, that’s a change to the notarisation servers, not to macOS.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

Thank you very much for your help!

Regards

Claus