Offline FairPlay - possible on macCatalyst (Catalina)?

Hi,

We have an existing app and are experimenting with adding a target for macOS (Catalyst).

The only functionality that appears not to be working is offline playback (of FairPlay protected content).

We see that when we pass back a CKC that has either a time sensitive Content Key Duration TLLV or an Offline Key TLLV we get an error on calling:

[keyRequest persistableContentKeyFromKeyVendorResponse:...]

Like:

"Cannot Open" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Cannot Open, NSLocalizedFailureReason=This computer is not authorized to play (null).}

The error code is : -42668 (CKC invalid)

So the question is - Does UIKitForMac/Catalyst/Marzipan implementation of FairPlay support offline playback or not?

Replies

I think it's possible but I cannot accomplish offline playback too with Catalyst. Does Apple guys have a solution ?

I used a TSI to get help of Apple Support. They confirmed that macOS Catalina should support offline playback but this is a known bug. It'll be fixed on future versions (maybe 10.15.1 beta, otherwise, we should look for it in next release). Wait and see 😉

I just tried with latest beta of MacOS Catalina 10.15.1 (19B86a) and still having the same issue with extracting the persistableContentKeyFromKeyVendorResponse

Still not working for me on :

macOS 10.15.1 (19B88)

Also tried macOS Catalina 10.15.2 beta 1. Same error 😔

I sent a demo to Apple that confirmed that it fails on latest version. Before 10.15.1 release, they confirmed that this bug was resolved but I contacted them to indicates it's doesn't work yet.

I'm waiting for Apple response. They have to investigate on this bug from my demo project.

Apple response :

06/11/2019

Sorry about the delay in responding, but it looks like the fix for the problem we knew about was in 10.15.1, which means that you’re running into something else

[....]

Would you mind submitting a new bug report for 10.15.1, including a new sysdiagnose and steps to reproduce, and let me know the bug number?

08/13/2019 :

I’m able to reproduce the issue as you described, using your sample project. However, it’s going to be necessary for you to submit a new bug report, because the existing one has already been closed as a duplicate (because it looked like you were running into an issue that was fixed in 10.15.1)....

Waiting for response

This is resolved for me on:

10.15.4 Beta (19E234g)

Can you guys see the same thing?