Sending user outside app to pay

Hi everyone,

Apple told us that we need to send users outside app (close the app and open a Safari) to collect payment. I am worried that this is going to affect our user experience. Apparently, we can't have an embedded solution for payment. It has to be outside the app. Do you know of any good example for this?

Thanks

Replies

Audible is like that for audio books (or at least it used to be -- I haven't bought a book from them lately). You had to go to Audible's web site to buy an audio book before you could listen to it in their app.

Are you certain they won’t let you open a web view within the app?

Sorry, I didn't see this. They say we can't. I am looking for good examples of this - opening a web browser to collect payment outsice the app. Do you know of any?

Can you clarify precisely what you are trying to do? Lots of apps collect outside payment inside the app. That's no big deal.

Are you just trying to avoid in-app purchase? If so, just consult any of the 600 other threads from people trying to avoid in-app purchase.

I know of no examples. But I'm sure this is often done for purchasing real world goods and services. If you are trying to be a reader app then I can see their objection. You could always allow the user to purchase through IAP.

Hi there, I am not a developer so not sure what you mean by being a reader? All have a marketplace and allow seller to donate money to a charity. Apple says becasue we are collecting donations we need to be a non-profit and use Apple Pay. they are saying we can take money outsdie the app and so I am trying to find good examples for this.

I thought we will loose 30% with IAP. But you made me research and it seems like Apple doesn't take 30% for non-digital (physical) products? Is this right? However, I am afraid IAP won't help us as the issue is still collecting donation.

Thanks so much

Hi there, Not really. We have a marketplace and are allowing seller to donate a little money to a charity. Apple says we are collecting donations. Therefore they say we have to be a non-profit and use Apple Pay to do that. We are not set up as a non-profit. Apple says the other option is to collect the money outside the app. I am looking for succesful examples of how to collect money outside the app.

The guidelines are here:

https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/

A reader app is described in 3.1.3a - but I see now from your description that you need to satisfy:

3.2.2 Unacceptable.... (iv) Unless you are an approved nonprofit or otherwise permitted under Section 3.2.1 (vi) above, collecting funds within the app for charities and fundraisers. Apps that seek to raise money for such causes must be free on the App Store and may only collect funds outside of the app, such as via Safari or SMS.

And you are correct, IAP will not work here because you are collecting donations.

>Hi there, I am not a developer

In that case, please understand that responses here are focused on making apps, not solutions that depend on other schemes. In your case,

the burden is on you to find someone with experiences in soliciting donations via the web

>not sure what you mean by being a reader?

A reader app is used to help a user view content they've already purchased from different sources. Don't let the suggestion to adopt that method confuse you...it doesn't seem to be a solution you can employ in your example where the goal is to ask for and collect donations.

Apple says this about that:

“Reader” Apps: Apps may allow a user to access previously purchased content or content subscriptions (specifically: magazines, newspapers, books, audio, music, video, access to professional databases, VoIP, cloud storage, and approved services such as classroom management apps), provided that you agree not to directly or indirectly target iOS users to use a purchasing method other than in-app purchase, and your general communications about other purchasing methods are not designed to discourage use of in-app purchase."

>...how to collect money outside the app.

devForums is for questions/discussion on Apple's tools, and how to make apps - you'll need to do your own research for other topics.

Good luck.

If you are doing donations to charity then you need to be a non-profit.