app crashes updating to Xcode 11.2 from 11.1

This thread has been locked by a moderator.

My app ran without any crashes while using Xcode 11.1. After updating to XCode 11.2, my app experienced a crash:

*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidUnarchiveOperationException', reason: 'Could not instantiate class named _UITextLayoutView because no class named _UITextLayoutView was found; the class needs to be defined in source code or linked in from a library (ensure the class is part of the correct target)'

This crash seems to occur during a perpare for seque, before any of my views appear on the screen.

Any idea on the cause or solution?

Thanks.

Up vote post of shirefriendship
55k views

Accepted Reply

This is addressed in the GM Seed of Xcode 11.2.1. If you are writing a Mac Catalyst app, please also see the release notes for Xcode 11.2.1.

For any other issues you encounter while using Xcode, please file bug reports.

Replies

Why apple released xcode with this BUG. S U C K S

In my case, any XIB with a UITextView in it will crash.

I tried the above-mentioned technique of deleting the UITextView, and then immediately undoing the delete: this resolves the issue.

Doing a side-by-side Differences compare of XIBs in BBEdit shows only minor metadata changes in the XIB header--the actual TextView definition is unchanged.

XCode 11.2.1 does NOT fix this issue. I have submitted a bug report to Apple.

This bug is sloppy and unacceptable. Apple needs to fix this.

about Mac Catalyst, release notes say:

Storyboards containing a

UITextView
will cause the app to crash on macOS versions earlier than macOS 10.15.1 if compiled on a Mac running macOS 10.15.1. (56808566)

does it mean that we'll need to wait for Xcode 11.2.2 or something, or that the problem will fix itself when compiling on macOS 10.15.2?

UITextView not fixed in 11.2.1 and may show in subclasses of UIButton as well, is an important information.

It would be worth a new thread stressing that problem not solved in 11.2.1.

I'm having the same issue, Xcode 11.2, crashes on device (13.2.1) but works fine on simulator 13.2. It's crashing with FirebaseAuthViewController for me, there is a storyboard and a textview involved.

Completely agree. My app was rejected today because it's crashing on 13.2 during App Review. The only way for me to test on my devices is to upgrade to XCode 11.2. However, from what I'm reading, that would be a monumental mistake. I'd rather keep a stable build out there for the time-being rather than create a situation where everything will be blowing up.

Is there an ETA on this?

Can you please post the bug number?

download new xcode 11.2.1, issue is fixes

xcode 11.2.1,issue is fixed

xcode11.2.1, issue is fixed

Downloaded Xcode 11.2.1, on my iOS 13.2.1 it doesn't work, bug not fixed, same issue.

Should I use iOS 13.2.2?

If this supposedly fixed in Xcode 11.2.1, then why do I still see crash reports for users running iOS 13.1.x?

> SIGABRT: Could not instantiate class named _UITextLayoutView because no class named _UITextLayoutView was found; the class needs to be defined in source code or linked in from a library (ensure the class is part of the correct target)

I do subclass UITextView (from a Storyboard) but I don't think that could be causing the issue.

Your app needs to be rebuilt with Xcode 11.2.1 in order for iOS 13.1 and earlier customers to not encounter this crash. Also, those customers may not have updated to your new version that's fixed -- your app's build number at the top of the crash report gives you an indication of which build they are using.

> Your app needs to be rebuilt with Xcode 11.2.1 in order for iOS 13.1 and earlier customers to not encounter this crash.

It already is built with Xcode 11.2.1 and yet the crash still occurs for users running iOS 13.1.x.

> Also, those customers may not have updated to your new version that's fixed -- your app's build number at the top of the crash report gives you an indication of which build they are using.

No need to be condencending. I've been developing apps for over 20 years and iOS apps since spring 2008. I know how to read crash reports.

I'm using MS App Center for crash reports (TestFlight often take days before reporting crashes) and they do report that the crashes occur in the latest version of my app, which was build with Xcode 11.2.1.

In fact, DTXcodeBuild in the info.plist reports that build 11B53 was used to build the app.

I don't mean to sound condescending, I'm sorry you heard it like that. The version number is an important detail that not everyone knows to look at.

Xcode 11.2.1 was released yesterday, with build number 11B500. The GM Seed previously referened by me in other posts on this thread had build number 11B53. Please rebuild with this released build, and if you still continue to get these crashes after that, please open a Feedback Assistant ticket and post the number here so I can follow up on it.