Diabetes alert app

Hi,

My daughter has diabetes and although her continuous glucose monitoring system has alarms she sleeps through them.

Her current monitoring software (sugarmate) calls her when her blood sugar goes low, but she sleeps through that.

I am wondering if I could write a simple app that would be triggered by an incoming call from sugarmate. When such a call comes in it would start an alarm that does not turn off by itself. Ideally a blue tooth connection to a "bed shaker" alarm would enable it to be the alarm rather than an audible one.

So in short 1) phone call comes in from sugarmate, 2) bed shaker alarm goes off and doesn't stop without intervention.

Is this feasible? If so, any tips on what to read up on, to be able to build something like that? (I have development experience, though never done iOS app development.)

Thanks,

Paul

• Paul, my wife and mother in law both have the Dexcom meters and I also want to get the alert from the “Follow” app and did when I first installed it but one of the last Apple upgrades disabled this ability. She does a pretty good job of watching and avoiding this but my Mother in law is 94 and only recently began getting these alerts. I called Dexcom and they are saying that there is some kind of a hold on their fix. whatever that “hold” is creates a life threatening issue. Did you get a fix?

Add a Comment

Accepted Reply

Third party apps aren't allowed to respond to incoming phone calls to the main phone number on iOS. So no, I don't think it's feasible. You'd have to use some other notification option. Do they offer any other "API" besides a phone call?

Disclaimer: maybe there's something in the VoIP APIs that could be used. I know little about what they can do. Maybe if you set up a whole infrastructure as a VoIP provider and had your monitoring service call some other number, you could get your code to run. But I do know app review tends to frown on using APIs for other than their intended purpose.

Replies

Paul:

You may want to look into using notifications, and perhaps Swift Playgrounds, just to help with the learnng.

Further questions, just so others here know where you're coming from, may be better suited in the Getting Started forum, your choice. See FAQ 4 here:For Best Results - Read the Label

Good luck.

Ken

Third party apps aren't allowed to respond to incoming phone calls to the main phone number on iOS. So no, I don't think it's feasible. You'd have to use some other notification option. Do they offer any other "API" besides a phone call?

Disclaimer: maybe there's something in the VoIP APIs that could be used. I know little about what they can do. Maybe if you set up a whole infrastructure as a VoIP provider and had your monitoring service call some other number, you could get your code to run. But I do know app review tends to frown on using APIs for other than their intended purpose.