Selfie Camera Support?

How do you enable ARKit room tracking on the front-facing "selfie" camera? Wondering whether there is an option in Unity or XCode to enable front support (as opposed to the rear-facing camera).

Replies

I am eager to know, for what purpose would you like to use the front facing camera, as the AR Kit is not about object or face recognition?

The short answer is: No, you can't.

It seems like the current form of ARKit we have is about plane detection and doing stuff with that. Considering there really aren't any planes to detect from the front-facing camera, there's probably not support. Maybe when ARKit becomes a bit more mature we'll see the front-facing camera as an option.

Hello,

I would like for instance, to be able to use the body skeleton detection, and guide the user to do some things.

In order to do so, the user has to stand in front of the front-camera and look at the instuction displayed on the iPhone screen.

This is an example for AR on the front-camera.

This is also my Usecase, were you able to find a solution to enable Body/Motion Tracking on the Front Camera ?

Same question here:

I would like to record (using alle features from actual iPhone Pros like manual focus, zooming...) a scene in a greenscreen setup.

This is not best space for anchoring featurepoints and track the iPhones / 6D-position.

So it would be perfect if the selfi-cam would be able to do the room tracking.

Any hints how I could achive it?

Thanks,

You can enable world tracking during an ARFaceTrackingConfiguration by setting isWorldTrackingEnabled to true. Keep in mind that this only works on A12 and later devices, you should always check the supportsWorldTracking property before enabling world tracking on an ARFaceTrackingConfiguration.

You can enable world tracking during an ARFaceTrackingConfiguration by setting isWorldTrackingEnabled to true

Wow perfect this helps.

So the selfiCam will do World Tracking & I could use the cameras on the iPhone's back to record... Right?

Thanks a lot!!!

"So the selfiCam will do World Tracking & I could use the cameras on the iPhone's back to record... Right?"

No, in the configuration I have described, the front facing camera will give you the front facing camera image, and you will receive ARFaceAnchors. The rear facing camera performs world tracking, but you are not able to access its images.

Sorry, I think I may have misunderstood what you were asking for initially.

I would need the other way around ;-)

the iPhone cameras on the back are doing photos & recording of videos,

the selfi cam is doing world tracking. (without face recognition)...

Is there any possibility to do it this way?

> it would be perfect if

Feel free to file enhancements requests via the bug reporter link, below, being sure to add your FB# to your comment for reference, thanks and good luck.

There is no current configuration that will get you this behavior. If you'd like to see this in the future, I recommend that you file an enhancement request using Feedback Assistant.