Text Styles broken in Xcode 11.1+

On my machine text styles are broken in Xcode 11.1+ and I am desperately looking for a solution/workaround. It seems that the problem is not related to my current project but I can reproduce it in new projects as well. As this does not seem to affect all users of Xcode 11.1, I am guessing that it must be something related to my setup. I am running Xcode on a MacBook Pro Mid 2012 with Mojave.

The bug presents itself like this: When I click on a label in IB and then click on the font attribute in the attribute inspector, a popup opens with the sections "font, style and size". When I click on the "font", I can select a text style like "Body, Headline, Footnote" in Xcode 11.0. In Xcode 11.1+ I can see the grey header called "Text Styles", but there are no entries underneath.

See also with some images:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/58311562/how-to-assign-dynamic-text-styles-in-xcode-11/58609177#58609177

Any help is greatly appreciated as I cannot run my app on device with Xcode 11.0 anymore. My current workaround is a parallel installation of Xcode 11.2 beta 2 to run my app on device while doing UI development in Xcode 11.0.

Replies

I tsted on 11.1 (build 11A1027) and 11.2 beta, I get the full menus in both cases.

OSX: Mojave

What is your build ?

Did you restart the Mac since the problem occured ? Could try.

Otherwise, you could reinstall XCode 11.1.

Reinstalling Xcode 11.1 did not help. Restarting the Mac did not help either. Working Xcode is build 11A420a, non-working beta is 11B44. Trying to download 11.2 final right now which has just been released.

Thanks for the info.

I start downloading 11.2.

I read it includes Swift 5.1. I thought it would be 5.2.

Just installed Xcode 11.2 (11B52). Still having the issue 😟

I am contemplating a fresh install of Catalina now even though this will take me days due to slow internet...

Tested again with XCode 11.2. Cannot reproduce the problem.

Label attributes are:

- Text: Plain- a title (text is length)

- Font: System 17.0

- Dynamic type: no

- Alignment: Natural

- Lines: 1

- Behavior: Enabled

- Baseline: Align baselines

- Line break: truncate tail

- Autoshrink: Fixed font size

Does it occur if you create a fresh new label as well ?

It happens even in a new project. My guess is that there is some incompatibility with my setup that makes Xcode not show the styles (maybe releated to some system font?).

As the SO thread mentions it does only happen to a few, but I am not alone.

I am currently downloading Catalina and will do a fresh install on my dev machine. I hope this will solve the problem. I have been upgrading the OS for a few years now and maybe there is some old stuff left somewhere that Xcode does not like. Still should not happen as this will cost me a couple of days 😟

Which MacOS version was it ?

Thanks to report if it works after upgrade.

I just did a fresh install of Catalina and restored my user data only (took about 12 hours from TimeMachine to restore...): No textstyles on Xcode 11.2 (11B52) in neither my current projects nor in new projects. Also creating a new user on Catalina did not help - same problem. Maybe there is some incompatibility between Xcode 11.1+ and my MacBook Pro 15 Mid 2012?

I don't think the problem could be related to the hardawre used.

Just looks like something went wrong when you installed XCode 11.2.

Have you enough memory ?

Have you kept XCode 11.0 installed ? If so, did you change the name before downloading 11.2 ?

If you have both, you should NOT open them simultaneously.

Try nstalling Xcode 11.2.1 GM seed