Xcode 11.1 "Unable to Download Xcode"

So I tried installing this update three times. Each time all 7.6 GB "downloads" and begins the "Installing..." shortly after Xcode starts "Installing" I get a notification in the Notification Center "Unable to Download App" "Xcode could not be installed please try again later."
...Anyone else?

Replies

SOLUTION FOR ME

Others on here have reported simply moving Xcode to the trash worked for them, but that wasn't the case for me. With Xcode in trash, the App Store would only let me "Update" not download a clean copy. But after the "update" finished (it did something, but not sure what?) the app was not in my applications folder. The "Update" button in the App Store changed to "Open." Clicking this repeatedly did nothing.

I needed to:

1) Emtpy the trash

2) Restart the MacBook

Then the App Store showed the "Download" icon next to Xcode, and let me download a new/clean version, which took FOREVER. But it finally worked. Several hours wasted due to complete lack fo QA by Apple 😠

Thanks for the remove/reinstall prompt to get me out of my spinning ooda loop. It did take waaay longer to download than it's size seemed to warrant over gigabit fiber, but... 🏼♂ Now I have new Xcode.

Good advice, haseje!

After deleting and trashing the previous version of Xcode, I had to retry the download and install a couple of times on a 5G network but finally it finished and installed and I then installed the needed components.

Before that it would download just 3/4 of the way and then stop, not always with an error message.

I couldn't find AppCleaner and so ended up just deleting the app manually and emptied the trash. After a couple of retries after that as noted above, it worked.

DLSieving

I do not think that copying your projects to an external hard-drive, deleting Xcode and reinstalling it again represents a solution.

It is just a dirty workaround.

@Apple - when can we expecte a proper fix for this? I do not want to repeat the same steps for Xcode 11.2, 11.3.....

I suggest all of you guys having this issue, te report it to Apple. This way we will have it resolved. Please use the Feedback Assistant for this: https://feedbackassistant.apple.com

Thanks!

Did you delete the old xcode app (11.0) eventually?

How do you do this? I tried emptying the trash.

This worked for me too. I'm on the Catalina Beta. I just moved it to the trash, emptied the trash and re-installed from the app store. No reboot necessary.

This was the error I got when it failed

/var/log/install.log

PackageKit: Install Failed: Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=501 "The package is attempting to install content to the system volume." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=The package is attempting to install content to the system volume.} {

NSLocalizedDescription = "The package is attempting to install content to the system volume.";

}

Smae problem here (MBP early 2013, witbh catalina installed)... Several update trials but no succes.... I don't really want to delete xcode to reinstall it.... but will consider it.

I'm going to ost a feedback to apple.

I have encountered this problem as well.

macOS Catalina (10.15)

Unable to update Xcode to version 11.2

See if the 'more downloads' link works better than the MAS: Xcode 11.2.xip

Still no joy, try updating Catalina to 10.15.1 first, if for no other reason than to give the servers on the backend a break until the rush is over...

I am so angry right now so the following comes from a highly emotional place. If you are emotionally weak, do not read.

This is the SECOND time in a row Xcode fails to update.

The last update I had to completely uninstall my entire Xcode installation and not before then could I manage to install Xcode from the Appstore. So, with a FRESH installation, Xcode now fails again to update from the appstore. What the actual...

Maybe someone should inform Apple that there is something called quality assurance and that it is easy for a customer to hold the belief that it is not OK to release a product so tightly knit to Apple and still not having the most basic testing done for release.

As every other customer, the last thing I have time for is to reinstall and set up an entire working environment over and over again.

And asking me to sideload directly from developer.apple.com well, that just tells me appstore is not a viable plattform for demanding software. Why then should I use appstore if Apple themselves do not.

I want apple to fix this without me having to spend hours fixing stuff that so many people seem to encounter.

Hardware Macbook pro 15 (2019), Catalina 10.15, current installation of Xcode Version 11.1 (11A1027), trying to update to appstore version 11.2 of Xcode.

Only SECOND times? I did it more than 20 times. I sended failure report to Apple, and Apple sended a command for getting log. But the command also didn't work. Where is a way for Swift developer?

Same SECOND fail of xcode update for me. I have to delete and reinstall again. Totally wasting time but I have to do it.

Everybody who caused it, god damnn it !!!

What are on feedback assistance is appropriate. AppStore Connect, AppStore Connect API or Xcode?

System log error is different from the one reported in OP.

com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.IDECacheDeleteAppExtension.8351): Path not allowed in target domain: type = pid, path = /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/SharedFrameworks/DTDeviceKitBase.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.dt.Xcode.TCPRelayService.xpc error = 147: The specified service did not ship in the requestor's bundle, origin = /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/PlugIns/IDECacheDeleteAppExtension.appex

Nov 1 16:07:11 MBP com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.IDECacheDeleteAppExtension.8351): Path not allowed in target domain: type = pid, path = /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Frameworks/IDEKit.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/IDETouchBarSimulatorService.xpc error = 147: The specified service did not ship in the requestor's bundle, origin = /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/PlugIns/IDECacheDeleteAppExtension.appex

Nov 1 16:07:11 MBP com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.IDECacheDeleteAppExtension.8351): Path not allowed in target domain: type = pid, path = /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/SharedFrameworks/LLDB.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/RootDebuggingXPCService.xpc error = 147: The specified service did not ship in the requestor's bundle, origin = /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/PlugIns/IDECacheDeleteAppExtension.appex

Nov 1 16:07:12 MBP com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.IDECacheDeleteAppExtension.8351): Path not allowed in target domain: type = pid, path = /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/Library/Xcode/PrivatePlugIns/IDEOSXSupportCore.ideplugin/Contents/XPCServices/com.apple.dt.XcodeMacLocationSimulation.xpc error = 147: The specified service did not ship in the requestor's bundle, origin = /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/PlugIns/IDECacheDeleteAppExtension.appex

I upgraded to XCode 11.2 two days ago without problem (I was probably lucky). I'm running Mojave 10.14.6. And rune iOS 13.1 on testing devices.

This thread started with 11.1 download problems and now the same for 11.2. Is it just the number of us trying to upgrade that causes problem ? Could you try to find a moment of low traffic (we shall have to wake up at 3 am to upgrade 😝…)

After failing many times, it finally worked after I upgraded to macOS Catalina 10.5.1.