iOS 13: Network connected via NEHotspotConfiguration disconnects after a while

Hello,

We encountered some issues with iOS 13 beta 8 when using NEHotspotConfiguration on iOS 13. Our app uses NEHotspotConfigurationManager to connect itself to an appliance using Wi-Fi with WPA2 access. The hotspot hasn't an internet connection available.

In older iOS versions (iOS 12 and lower) everything worked fine but in iOS 13 the device is being disconnected after a while every single time.

Is there something to configure on iOS 13 to disable this automatic disconnection ?

PS: some other peole have the same issue (https://stackoverflow.com/questions/57552952/ipados-network-connected-via-nehotspotconfiguration-disconnects-after-a-while)

Replies

Hi, Any news regarding this issues ?.

It is now 2020 and it still is not fixed yet. This makes working with IOT devices with iOS so much more difficult... As hmestiri described, setting joinOnce = false does not work for hotspots without an internet connection. I want to use it to connect IOT devices to the main network. But the 15 seconds until it disconnects is to low when setting joinOnce = true (user needs to enter username and password in that time). I would really like to hear about any news regarding this breaking bug. Dirk Gausmann

Hi, I just tried to reproduce the bug with iOS 13.4 beta 2 and did not hit the 15s timeout with .joinOnce = true; that I always got with iOS 13.3 while keeping the app in foreground !

Can anyone confirm r. 54069521 got fixed ? Thanks.

Hope it gets as is in the GM.

Hi Dirk, it's fixed for me in iOS 13.4 beta 2 (see below). Could you confirm on your side ?

I can confirm - `joinOnce` works (again) with iOS 13.4.1 (on an iPad).

I can confirm

That matches our expectations as well (to be clear, the fix went in to 13.4).

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"