Catalina killed my Mac mini?

Downloaded Catalina on my new 2018 Mac mini. Started the install, it went to and stayed on a black screen with white Apple logo and progress bar. The bar expanded until it was full all the way across. The mini sat at this screen for about 2.5 hours. I was wondering why it was taking a long time so I touched the mini and quickly pulled my hand away! It was scorching hot! I decided to pull the plug and let it cool down. Now that the mini has cooled off, it won’t turn on! What do I do? I tried contacting developer support, but they’re probably all at WWDC. *sigh* Thankfully this isn’t my only Mac. I don’t know what I would have done if it was.

Accepted Reply

Got my mini back two days ago. They apparently replaced the PSU to no avail, then replaced the logic board. This work was done all at the local Apple Store. Hopefully this info is getting back to the right people at Apple HQ so that they can do something about it. I'm definitely not installing Catalina for a while, lol.

Replies

I installed on an External Hard drive with Mac Mini 2018. No issues, I went back to Mojave without any problems.

Recently installed the official version of catalina on my mac mini (late 2012) here in germany and got the same problem: black screen, only white LED is on. Isn‘t this problem fixed yet?

Same problem

Same problem here. LED is on. No boot chime. No screen output. Nothing.

Same problem. I install release version from AppStore. only led. Mini 2018

UPDATE: check resolution monitor. I try input to another hdmi and all ok now

Same Issue although changing hdmi input did not help.

What solved the problem for me was to ditch hdmi and instead use a thunderbolt to display port cable and all is well.

Brought my mac mini to Gravis Stuttgart. Defective LogicBoard.

Was there still a start sound or the startup manager before you got your screen working again?

Did your mac start mac os in background without screen? Could you do a ping or remote access?

>I updated my Late 2012 Mac Mini yesterday from Mojave to Catalina via the App Store.

Just for the record, after a rocky start, mine is doing fine.

If you're not on a beta BTW, discussion on catalina is now best put to Apple's public forums as Apple says this about that...

"If you have a question or know a thing or two about macOS Catalina, we want to hear from you.

My MacMini same issue (Thailand)

Hi everyone,

I have a Late 2012 Mac Mini. Before 10.15.3 I had incomplete shutdown problems. When I installed 10.15.3, the installation could not finish as "the installar was unavailable". I was upgrading at home with my internet. I have a typical home connection, but not gigabit.
Upon advice from a coworker, I solved all installation problems by taking my Mac Mini to work. I am the permits officer for an internet provider. We hooked it up to the internet with an ethernet cable, not WiFi. Yes, gigabit. This guaranteed a fast and uninterrupted data flow. That simple.

It is not an "old machine" issue. My old machine is running great. A new Mac Mini will suffer the same fate. I hope this helps.

Happy Trails!