Photos importing issue

I have installed iOS 13 PB2 on my iPhone with Catalina PB2 Beta on my Mac.

I took a bunch of photos and videos, wanted to import them into my photo library on an external disk, but it never goes through. I tried clicking on the iPhone when it’s plugged in and importing new photos, it looks like the Photo app does something but never imports them. In fact, photo libraries on this external disk show the same problem while those created on my Mac work normally.

Not sure what’s causing it, can it be the beta version bug or Apple does it on purpose?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of msxyrainy Down vote post of msxyrainy
9.7k views
  • I had the same problem. As soon as I updated the software and restarted my Mac, it automatically reopened the Photos App and started importing the photos as it had always done before!

Add a Comment

Replies

I have the same issue. The import process completes very fast. 2000 photos in 10 seconds.

However, no photo is imported to the library.

I hope apple developers aware this issue, and it is fixed in the next mac os beta release.

I had Photo import and iCloud issues as well until I resorted to a new system PhotoLibrary. After pointing to a new PhotoLibrary, the import/iCloud worked perfectly

Still an issue - iOS 12 on iPhone SE, Catalina on Mac - import pretends to work but does nothing - created new album, still nothing imports. Cannot get photos off of phone using Photos.

Hi. Has this been resolved already? I've got the same issue and really need to backup my photos. Working on the latest operating systems.

I have the same issue and having a hard time believing no one else is....I keep my photos on a remote server and have been able to import to iPhoto and then Photos running on the Mac but saving to a network file mounted library from iPhone this way for years. Same behavior as above, Photos attempts to import a few dozen to hundreds of photos in a few seconds but nothing shows up. Copying the photos library to a removable HD and attachig directly to Mac appears to be a work around but won't work for me long term. Any insights/help Apple?

I have same problem. I just update ios to Catalina and when importing photos from iphone or ipad to photo app on my mac it seems it is actually importing them but nothing happened at the end and I cannot find them anywhere.

Please help

Same issue here. Importing to brand new library on an SMB share, the import progress indicator completes after a few minutes but there's nothing shown in the imports. The library is still empty. I've been importing successfully for many years to my previous library (which also fails in the same way) so there's definitely an issue introduced in Catalina.
Same for me... Even now on iOS14 and Catalina 10.15.7 it is not working for months now...
This is absolutely annoying!

Here are some logs:

Code Block
standard 19:34:44.779180+0200 Photos IMG_1103.HEIC | Download Complete
fehler 19:34:44.779486+0200 Photos ERROR: Der Vorgang konnte nicht abgeschlossen werden. (com.apple.ImageCaptureCore-Fehler -9956.) (, path: 1C4D0D82-827A-4DF7-89C8-C1F1A5FC7D15.HEIC (IMG_1103.HEIC)), file: PHImportDeviceAsset.m, line: 539
fehler 19:34:44.779583+0200 Photos [IMPORT ERROR] <private>
fehler 19:34:44.792818+0200 kernel Sandbox: PTPCamera(3381) System Policy: deny(1) file-write-create /MY-PATH/Fotos-Mediathek 4.photoslibrary/external/com.apple.Photos/import/145CLOUD/.tmp_IMG_1104.HEIC_
standard 19:34:44.854583+0200 PTPCamera icdevice | Failed E: 0x139bba/ A: 0xfffffffffffffffd - Received an invalid transaction size

Same problems here, I have checked the "Delete items after import", but the importing and deleting never actually happened.. not just on my iphone XS Max IOS 14 and Catalina 10.15.7, same cases in my Mac with my Wife's Iphone 11 Pro IOS 13
Hello,

I am having the same issue on Catalina 10.15.17 trying to import pictures from my iPhone (iOS 12.4.8) to a network shared location using Image Capture.

I tried with 3 different protocols: SMB (v3), AFP and NFS, and the exact same error is triggered every time.

I tried on an old iMac running High Sierra, and the same scenario works (over any of those 3 protocols) without any error.

Also, on Catalina, importing to the local hard drive works fine as well.

Here is the error in Image Capture:

The operation couldn't be completed. (com.apple.ImageCaptureCore error -9956) (-9956).
An error occurred while importing. The item "IMG_5124.JPG" was not imported.

And here the details from console:

The relevant part being:
Code Block
default 20:03:53.373903-0500 PTPCamera icdevice | Failed E: 0x12322a/ A: 0xfffffffffffffffd - Received an invalid transaction size

Apple, please take a look at this, so many people are using NAS devices and such in order to store their pictures from multiple devices. MacOS should be able to do that as well as any other OS.

Thank you !

I had the same issue. As a workaround, I was able to follow these steps:
  1. Open System Preferences

2. Click "Security & Privacy"

3. Click "Full Disk Access" (and unlock if locked)

4. Click + to add an application

5. Navigate to /System/Library/Image Capture/Devices/PTPCamera (or use Cmd+Shift+G and paste this in)

6. Click Open

7. Restart the open Photos app

• You, sir, are a genius. This absolutely solved the issue. Although only after a complete reboot, but now imports work as intended.

• My friend, THANK YOU! This worked perfectly.

• Thanks. I have the same issue. But when I go to /System/Library/Image Capture/Devices/. There is no PTPCamera only AirscanScan. I am on OS Ventura.

I have the same problem. It happened midstream during an import and now I can't import anything. Very frustrating. It should "just work!"

It's 2024 and I'm still having the same issue. Mac OS Sonoma, ios 17.0.3

Jan 2024 - Tried for hours without success

MacOS - Sonoma 14.2.1 Apple M1 Pro

Trying to import photos from iPhone 15 Pro Max - latest iOS Photos can only import about 1 photo per time. If I select more than that, it will process it very fast but in the end, nothing is imported. Also, It will go back to "Preparing to import from "iPhone ***" again and this itself takes more than a few minutes.

What is this. nonsense, Apple?