Internet Recovery Loop

I attempted to perform an erase and install on a 2018 MBP after installing Catalina. I booted to internet recovery so I could downgrade to Mojave. When booting into internet recovery it comes up with a screen that say "Activate Mac" and message at bottom "The certificate for this server is invalid. You might be connecting to a server that is pretending to be "tbsc.apple.com" which could put your confidential information at risk". I only have the option at the bottom of the screen to restart. If I browse the options on the menu bar at the top I see the option to deactivate and erase but this just spins and restarts the machine.

The machine does not allow me to boot into target mode, reset NVRAM, or even option boot. All boot attempts go straight to internet recovery and back into the loop.

Replies

Has anyone else run into this issue?

I am getting no help from dev support or Applecare and this machine is bricked.

My 2018 MacBookPro was also bricked by the downgrade attempt. I contacted AppleCare and they are currently repairing it under warranty.

Prior to sending it off, we tried resetting the SMC and restoring the T2 firmware using the Apple Configurator 2 utility-- neither of which helped. The Configurator got pretty far along, then displayed an error message saying that T2 firmware could not be restored.

FYI, just got the MBP back from AppleCare. They replaced the logic board and touchID board.

Hi,
I have same issue with my Macbook Pro 2018 model with touch bar but apple support and apple service centre not helping.. asking me to contact beta developer program developers. Anyone will suggest me what should I do ?

I have same issue with macbook air 2019...
for two days I have try all recovery combination also phone call to apple care and same result = tbsc of the death
now macbook air goes to service center, still no update is it ok or not 😟
and it seems the problem is apple server (tbsc.apple.com) that have untrusted ssl certificate

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=tbsc.apple.com

why apple do not notice that have a server run with untrusted certificate?

What I did was to use another internet connection. I was able to pass that screen after using a mobile hotspot instead of my wifi connection. So if the activation fails on one connection just try to use another one from a different provider if available if apple returns the certificate error. Also changing your DNS servers from your router may help (use google one or another free dns that may resolve the connection to another endpoint).

I had tried two different wifi networks to get past that screen, but had the same error. But then I tried it on my mobile hotspot, and it worked! Thanks, yeu1!

Connecting via my mobile hotspot worked for me too. Thank you @yeu1