How to call a window

If I want to refer to the actual window (where I write the code) I would do view.window or self.view.window. For instance:

view.window?.title = "new title"

But if I am in another place, for instance, in the AppDelegate.swift how do I refer to a specific window? For instance, I tried and it does not work:

ViewController.title = "new title"

(macOS and Swift)

(I am quite new with Swift. Sorry if my question is innocent but I cannot find the answer anywhere. I would appreciate any orientation)

Accepted Reply

I would put the observer as well as spaceChange() in the ViewController for which you want to change the title.

And post a notification from the appDelegate or in any controller from where you want to change the title of another view (or its own view also).

Replies

ViewController.title = "new title"

You noticed this did not work.

Because you need to apply to an instance, not to the class.

You have several options here.

1. Brute force (not recommended):

- declare a global var (outside of any class)

var myController : UIViewController?

- set it when you create the VC (for instance when you load the View in its viewDidLoad

- use as

myWindow?.title = "new title". // In case it is nil

2. Use notification

In ViewController:

- make VC observe some notification (addObserver) : "notifyTitleChange"

- as a handling of notification, change the title

self.view.window?.title = "new title"

In AppDelegate

- post a notification when needed

- take care: if you send when VC not yet created, notification may be lost.

3. Use delegation

Ok. I could manage to put a notification in the AppDelegate.swift:

func applicationDidFinishLaunching(_ aNotification: Notification) {

NSWorkspace.shared.notificationCenter.addObserver(self, selector: #selector(self.spaceChange), name: NSWorkspace.activeSpaceDidChangeNotification, object: nil)

}

@objc func spaceChange() {

print("space did change")

// window?.setFrame(NSRect(x:0,y:0,width:500,height:500), display: true)

}

It prints well the message, so it detects when the user changes to a different space. Now I want to put a window in the active space, change its title or do things with that window. My question is how do I call that window

I would put the observer as well as spaceChange() in the ViewController for which you want to change the title.

And post a notification from the appDelegate or in any controller from where you want to change the title of another view (or its own view also).