Catalina can't handle two network connections

I did not have this problem with Mojave - it started with the beta of Catalina, and is still happening. Does anyone know a workaround?

I have a wired 1Gb/s connection and a WiFi connection to the same network. Wired so that I can actually get 1Gb/s throughput, and WiFi so that features like AirDrop will function properly.

Every few days, I get a popup saying that my computer already exists on the network, so it has been renamed, today to "MacBook (3)".

It's not a huge deal, but it is annoying. I rename it back, and it lasts a few days.

Accepted Reply

AirDrop and Maps/location services work even if your WiFi is not connected to a network; maybe you'd like to try this?

Replies

AirDrop and Maps/location services work even if your WiFi is not connected to a network; maybe you'd like to try this?

You mean turned on, but disconnected? Hadn't thought of that. I know it fails if I turn WiFi off.

I will try that.

Thank you.

EDIT: Yes that works. Thanks again. Still, it changed with Catalina - I used to be able to have two connections to the same network.

Glad that it worked out!