XCode 10.2 git error : Couldn’t communicate with a helper application

Hi,

With the latest XCode 10.2, git support seems to always break after some time, forcing me to close xcode, and open it again to have it work correclty again.

When git access is needed, in my local repository (to compare changes or commit) the following message pops-up:

----

Couldn’t communicate with a helper application.

Try your operation again. If that fails, quit and relaunch the application and try again.

----

I had no problems with git with previous versions of XCode.

Any one else having the problem and any clues on how to workaroud it ?

Accepted Reply

Good news! Xcode 11 Beta fixes this problem

Replies

Same here... really annoying.

Same for me, it's begining to grate, to be honest.

Has anyone found a solution, any feedback from Apple?

Good news! Xcode 11 Beta fixes this problem

This seems to be the case, indeed!

Thank you.

I have the same problem. Any workaround for current XCode?! I can't use Xcode 11 Beta 😟

Feels like I have to downgrade to previous version.

Still waiting as well for a viable solution as it is a Beta version of Xcode

Still an issue for me. Very annoying and disruptive.

Worst updates by Apple. Crashed git everytime and need to use external tool or command line.

I am surprised this works for me! Apple should provide more error details...

Hi,
it looks like they also solved the problem in the most recently released version : 10.3 (10G8)

EDIT : ... well no, they didn't.

Add Git Author name and email

Can be configured in next places:

- XCode Preferences -> Source Control -> Git

- Repository Git setup

git config user.name "John Doe" 
git config user.email "john@doe.org"

- Global Git setup:

git config --global user.name "John Doe" 
git config --global user.email "john@doe.org"

Only global setup worked for me

I got the same issue, not only Source Control, but manipulating files, or adding new assets to the project shows the same message: Couldn't communicate with helper application.

Recently I found out that folder permissions was the problem.

If anyone facing the same, simply change user (chown) or change permission (chmod) to the project folder to fix this issue.

I am having similar issue.. On the sumulator, I cannot select a file from Icloud drive. I am logged in and see the list of file from ICloud however, when I get the popup error when I select the file..

xCode Version 11.1 (11A1027)

I have tried all solution given on the above replies but it did not solve the issue. This works on the physical device..

Thanks for your help

I was getting this error consistently on my 13" MBP with 8GB of RAM. When I switched to a 15" MBP with 16GB of RAM I have never seen the problem once.

Version 12.4 (12D4e) +1