Delay in Touch ID Alert in iOS 13.1 , In almost all the apps the Touch ID Alert is coming after few sec delay, sometimes it appears inside the app after we Login successFully due to Delay.

There is a delay in Touch Id Alert , It will come sometime immediately , somtime after some delay and sometime when we rotate the Device.

Anyone else facing this issue and any solution for it.

The Delay ranges from 3sec to 30 sec

This is happening in iOS 13.1 and iOS 13.1.1 ,

It is working fine in iOS 12 Versions

Replies

I'm seeing this too. It's impacting UX flows; to the user it appears as if the application has stopped. Touching the reader while in this state will then complete the authentication with the missing Touch ID prompt brielfy appearing.

Are you able to reproduce this with a small test project?

Does this happen on all 13.x devices? Or just some subset of devices running 13.x?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

I have this issue too, on both iPhone 8, iPhone 6S and an iPad Air... all with iOS 13.1.2.

The issue was not present on iOS 12.x and early.

The issue happen even on iOS settings while opening Website & App Passwords, so I don't think is an app issue.

Hi,

I'm facing the same issue. It used to happen rarely also in early versions of iOS12. Now this issue is back. On my iPad Pro (A1674) with iPadOS13.1.2 it happens in almost every app I use or develop.

EDIT: I've just simulated this issue with the "Single View App" template in Xcode11. I added just one button pointing at this IBAction:

@IBAction func biometricAuth() {
        DispatchQueue.main.async {
            let context = LAContext()
            var error: NSError?
            print("Checking if can evaluate policy ...")
            if (context.canEvaluatePolicy(.deviceOwnerAuthenticationWithBiometrics, error: &error)) {
                print("Evaluating policy ...")
                context.evaluatePolicy(.deviceOwnerAuthenticationWithBiometrics,
                                       localizedReason: "Testing biometrics") { (success, error) in
                                        print("Biometrics success: \(success ? "YES" : "NO"). Error: \(error?.localizedDescription ?? "(null)")")
                }
            } else {
                print("Cannot evaluate policy. Error: \(error?.localizedDescription ?? "(null)")")
            }
        }
    }

The application prints "Evaluating policy ...", but the TouchID alert doesn't appear. It seems to be there, just not visible. It appears if I rotate the device or touch the figerprint reader.

Strange is that it seems to be "learning" to be broken. The app worked normally for a while and stopped showing the TouchID alert after few hours of testing.

Best regards,

Petr Hoffman

The issue happen even on iOS settings while opening Website & App Passwords, so I don't think is an app issue.

If you can reproduce it without any third-party code involved, that’s clearly an OS bug and you should file it as such.

Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

A developer opened a DTS incident about this so I had cause to dig into it. It seems that this is a known bug (r. 49700735), one that’s received a lot of attention here at Apple. It should be fixed in the current iOS 13.2 beta seed (17B5059g). Please re-test with that release to see if you can reproduce the problem there.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

(s. 721249669)

So far, TouchID works fine on iPadOS 13.2 Beta. This issue seems to be fixed.

So far, TouchID works fine on iPadOS 13.2 Beta.

Thanks for confirming that.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

One more observation, when touch ID alert shown if i do background and foreground application crashes.

On the current 13.2 beta? Or on something older?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

TouchID on our devices works fine on iOS/iPadOS 13.1.3. Was the fix there, or is it just a coincidence?

TouchID on our devices works fine on iOS/iPadOS 13.1.3. Was the fix there … ?

Yes.

My focus so far has been 13.2 beta because that’s where the fix was developed. I wasn’t entirely sure whether it would catch the 13.1.3 train. However, now that 13.1.3 is out of the station, it seems that the fix is on board (r. 55854875). Yay!

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

Tested with 13.2 beta 3 in iPad Air 2. Delay in touch ID alert still there

Delay in touch ID alert still there

Interesting. You should file a new bug about this, explicitly calling out the fact that you’re testing on a release that’s supposed to have this fixed.

To improve the chance of it getting any traction, your bug should include a sysdiagnose log taken shortly after you reproduced the problem (see our Bug Reporting > Profiles and Logs page for more info on sysdiagnose logs). Ideally, you’d also take your app’s code and boil it down into a simple test project that reproduces the problem and attach that to the bug.

Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

We have also reproduced this crash on 13.1.2 and probably on 13.2.2 (I have to confirm it on Monday). Not reproduced on 13.1.3.