"Could not locate device support files. This iPhone 8 (Model A1863,

Hello all:

I am working on a POC and require a framework file compiled by a hardware manufacturer, which was compiled in Swift 4, and so I have to work on the project in Xcode 10.2 (I think). I can run in the simulator OK, but when I try to run on my iPhone i get a message:

"Could not locate device support files. This iPhone 8 (Model A1863, A1905, A1906, A1907) is running iOS 13.1.2 (17A860), which may not be supported by this version of Xcode."

Can anyone suggest an idea? I thought about recompiling the framework in the latest version of XCode, but I guess I need the source for that? Is it possible to install the files needed for this iPhone to XCode 10.2?

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

John.

Replies

To debug a program on a device running iOS 13 you need Xcode 11. That includes Swift 5.2, and thus is incompatible with this third-party framework.

The best way forward here is to nag the third-party framework’s author to create a more up-to-date version of their framework. Now that Swift supports both binary and module stability, this new version of their framework should be able to support Swift 5.2 and all future versions of Swift. Yay!

If your nagging efforts are unsuccessful, your options are rather limited. One possibility is to build the app, export it as a

.ipa
, and then install the
.ipa
using the Devices and Simulators window (or iTunes). You won’t be able to debug, but you can at least run the app that way.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

With IOS13.2 on iPhone8 and iPAD this behaviour is reproducable, but not with IOS13.1.3 on iPhone SE.

There are no updates for Xcode available (current: 11.1) to avoid this bug.

This behaviour does also not depend on the app within Xcode ( I have tested with two very different apps; both apps run without any problems with IOS13.1.3.

waiting for fixes .....