Notarization says I'm not member of my team

I'm part of several teams in AppStore Connect and notarizing works fine for team Alice. However, when I try to notarize an app for team Bob, "altool" says I'm not part of the team even though I'm an admin of that team according to the AppStoreConnect homepage. Example:

$ xcrun altool --notarization-history -u me@company.com -p '@keychain:Notarization' --asc-provider TeamBobID
2019-07-08 11:28:33.248 altool[32077:2353610] *** Error: Failed to get notarization history:
(
    "Error Domain=ITunesConnectionOperationErrorDomain Code=1296 \"The username me@company.com is not a member of the provider TeamBobID. Contact your team admin for assistance.\" UserInfo={NSLocalizedRecoverySuggestion=The username my@company.com is not a member of the provider TeamBobID. Contact your team admin for assistance., NSLocalizedDescription=The username me@company.com is not a member of the provider TeamBobID. Contact your team admin for assistance., NSLocalizedFailureReason=Apple Services operation failed.}"

I double-checked the team ID for team Bob and am confident it is correct. What can I do/check to resolve this?

Accepted Reply

It took several weeks, Apple Developer Technical Support and Apple Developer Program Support to figure this out.

First, the error message is misleading. The real message should be: "Could not find provider shortname TeamBobID." It turns out altool does not want the Team/Provider ID (which you can find for example on the "Membership" page of developer.apple.com), it wants the so-called "provider shortname" which is not further explained in the man page or the text printed by `altool`. Most of the time, the "provider shortname" and Team/Provider ID are the same, but for our team it wasn't. Maybe because our team is very old.

Instructions on how to really obtain this "provider shortname" can be found in the first answer from "eskimo" (Quinn) to this thread.

Replies

Hello

Did you find out what was going wrong?

We have the same issue today and can't seem to find any information except your question.

No, we haven't found a solution yet. We tried everything we could in other threads like double-checking whether there are any pending agreement we have to confirm. Nothing helped yet.

It took several weeks, Apple Developer Technical Support and Apple Developer Program Support to figure this out.

First, the error message is misleading. The real message should be: "Could not find provider shortname TeamBobID." It turns out altool does not want the Team/Provider ID (which you can find for example on the "Membership" page of developer.apple.com), it wants the so-called "provider shortname" which is not further explained in the man page or the text printed by `altool`. Most of the time, the "provider shortname" and Team/Provider ID are the same, but for our team it wasn't. Maybe because our team is very old.

Instructions on how to really obtain this "provider shortname" can be found in the first answer from "eskimo" (Quinn) to this thread.

Found the solution. See my "Correct Answer" post.

Hi I'm having a very similar problem,

I'm not in the 99$ per year Apple Developer Programm, and I don't have an iTunes Connect or App Store Connect account as far as I know. I'm just trying to sign and notarize my app with my own Apple ID.

When I try to submit my app for notarization with:

xcrun altool --notarize-app --primary-bundle-id <myBundleId> --file <myFilePath> --username <myAppleId> --password <myAppSpecificPassword>

I get the error message:

Error: The username <myAppleId> is not a member of the provider . Contact your team admin for assistance. (1296)

Note the space after 'provider' and before '.' - The error message prints exactly like that.

I also tried providing altool with possible team names (based on my "personal team" name from Xcode, ) using the --asc-provider argument, but I got the "you are not a member of this team" error every time.

Now I tried to use iTMSTransporter in provider mode, (as described in the Forum thread which is linked from the accepted answer of this thread) in order to obtain a valid value for the --asc-provider argument but when I invoke that using

xcrun /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/iTMSTransporter -m provider -u <myAppleId> -p <myAppSpecifcPassword>

I get the error

Neither an encoding house user nor an iTunesConnect user was found. (1080)

I have no idea what to do now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I’ve responded to your question on the other thread where you posted it.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"