change icons in Catalina?

Is it possible to change icons in Catalina? I was able to change them somehow in beta3, but I can't remember how I did that. It was just so easy in Mojave and before. Anyone?

Accepted Reply

All problems concerning the possibility to change the icons are solved in 10.15.1 second beta. Wow!

Replies

They seem to have re-enabled this feature in the release build. At least for "regular" icons. I haven't tried changing a drive icon yet.

Update: Drive icons work too - with an authentication.

I have happily used the 'sudo mount -uw /' > 'killall Finder' along with Sip disabled on all the Beta's and the release version of Catalina, just installled 10.15.1 Beta 1 and on reboot ALL of my icons including program icons have been changed back to the default's ??

Tried using 'sudo mount -uw /' > 'killall Finder' with Sip disbaled and no go. I cannot change any icons even non Apple program icons ??

Very strange. Anybody else having this issue?

Have tried LiteIcon 4.0 it will change folder icons but that's all. App icons are left unchanged.

Luckily was able to do a full restore from Carbon Cloner back to the release version of 10.15 until there is a fix available.

Hi simonk66,

I've had the same (unhappy) experience. And I was so glad to have found LiteIcon, because that worked perfectly. Hope that app will update soon, so that we can return to the desired icns of our own!

Let's keep each other posted!

To my surprise I found out that the Calandar icon didn't change back: it is still the way I changed it in Catalina 10.15!

Yep I noticed the same thing.

I read the release notes and it seems Apple have incorporated ATI's new framework. That must be what is causing a refresh back to default of all icons. Still seems strange that all icons are changed back to their defaults but Calender !

And do you know how to deal with this new development? Is there a work around? Or do we have to wait for an update of LiteIcon?

I was also surprised to find that after updating to the latest Catalina developer release 10.15.1 Beta 1 most of my 3rd party applications and all of my macOS System & Utilities applications reverted to their original icons. There was also nothing I could do to change them.

How odd that an admin user isn't allowed to customize his own operating system by adding his own preferred icons, a perfectly harmless modification! Is this a bug or some new restriction in macOS Catalina that we won't be able to circumvent? I've gone back to the official 10.15 release from a Time Machine backup until either this issue has been confirmed as a bug, a workaround has been found or we're told there is no solution, in which case I'm going back to Mojave!

Cheers

Same here. Since Beta (19B68f) all custom icons are now gone and I can not edit any to return icons back to normal. Some icons packs that I've had for year now show no items in their folders. All altered icons (Apple Apps and Third Party Apps) have all reverted to their originals. Apple please fix!

Best option is to revert to the release version of Catalina until there is a fix. Apple will notice that fewer people are downloading the Beta 10.15.1 and hopefully do somehting about this.

I fear that we have to wait until someone comes up with a fix.

What a PITA. I have a ton of custom icons, and whereas I don't mind having to fix them all after an upgrade, I at least want the option.

So nothing works huh?

Nope nothing so far. The incorporation of the AMD NAND framework has caused a general flush of the user cache and reset to default icons.

All problems concerning the possibility to change the icons are solved in 10.15.1 second beta. Wow!

Can confirm all is back to normal with Beta 2. I am crossing my fingers and hoping that subsequent Beta's do not break it or we are all really stuck !

I will be reporting on all Beta's from now on.

Check here 1st BEFORE installing them !!

There is an update to LiteIcon 4.1 - I haven't tried it on 10.15.1 Beta 1 works on beta 2