App Store Rejection: Camera Access Message (Guideline 5.1.1 - Legal - Privacy - Data Collection and Storage)

Apple blocked an update for a personal database app citing the 5.1.1 guideline. The permission alert message ("Purpose String") was not changed but the latest update got multiple rejections because of it.

### Workflow

User taps on an " Add Picture" button, and if the user specify " Camera" from an action sheet of sources (e.g. Photo Library, Paste from Clipboard), the app then tries to access the camera, and causes iOS to display a permission request alert.

### Permission Request Alert

Here is the iOS standard alert **title**:

> "[AppName]" Would Like to Access the Camera

The initially approved developer-supplied **message** ("Purpose String"):

> Camera will be used to take pictures to store in [AppName].

-> Rejected.

> Camera will be used to take pictures so that you can store them in [AppName].

-> Rejected again.

We did look at Apple's docs and also asked Apple for recommendations, but they just kept saying that the alert needs *"to specify why the app is requesting access to the user's camera."*

### Other Examples

Similar apps have these accepted messages (some approved as recently as last week):

Example 1:

> Take photos and add them to records.

Example 2:

> Granting access will allow you to take photos and add them to attachment fields.

Example 3:

> Enable camera access to be able to take photos and videos then add them to your records.

### Your Recommendations?

How do I make the message compliant? Did the rules recently got changed?

I hope some kind soul could share some experience. Thank you!

P.S. I am also trying on StackOverflow:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/54602682/app-store-rejection-camera-access-message-guideline-5-1-1-legal-privacy

Replies

There is only one way to respond to these types of rejections. Make an appeal, stand your ground, and strongly demand that either they tell you exactly what needs to be changed and how to accomplish that for your app, or get out of the way and approve your app, same as all the other apps just like yours.

Good luck.

Why did some replies got deleted here?? 😮

Have you inserted that text into the info.plist under:

Privacy - Camera Usage Description

and

Privacy - Photo Library Usage Description

as described here:

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/photokit/requesting_authorization_to_access_photos?language=objc

Thanks, PBK, the text is properly included in info.plist. This is about what is in the string. If the previous replies were not deleted (for unknown reasons) you would have seen.

I have added updates to this issue in https://stackoverflow.com/questions/54602682/app-store-rejection-camera-access-message-guideline-5-1-1-legal-privacy for those interested.

In stackoverflow you state that Apple objected to your failure to explain ‘why you need access to the users personal data’ not the camera. Perhaps the issue is the photo library access.

How was this resolved? I'm having the same exact issue. Thanks.

It was never really resolved. It just depends on how the reviewer is feeling that day i guess.

To summarize:

• "Camera will be used to take pictures to store in [AppName]."

• Rejected

• "Camera will be used to take pictures so that you can store them in [AppName]."

• Rejected

• "Granting access will allow you to take photos and add them to attachment fields."

• Approved

• "Take photos and add them to records."

• Approved

• "Take photos and store them inside [AppName]."

• Approved

• "Take photos and store them in [AppName]."

• Approved for many updates for a few apps, then...

• Rejected on 2020/07/13 for one update, while the same string is...

• Approved on 2020/07/13 (the same day) for a different edition of the same app.

• "Enable access to the camera to take pictures and store them in the app."

• Rejected

This continues to be related to the mood of the reviewer. Related to if he/she speaks english or not is the only logical explanation I can come up with.

Approved 21 times: "To Take Photo and Videos"
Rejected Recently
Approved Revised: "To take Media stored in your personal secure database with each service record."

I guess Apple assumes you have only 1 purpose with the camera and that people would uninstall your app if they don't like your text. This only wastes your time and Apple's money with silly policies like this. Should be simply a yes or no question like _____ user can make the decision or not.

NO ONE IS READING THIS SILLY LITTLE TEXT! Nor is Apple checking the validity of what you are saying.
Apple management needs to do something about this approval process. My app have the same string for camera permission since version 1 and is always APPROVED. Now in version 5... for some reason... it was rejected. These reviewers are inconsistent. And it's causing us developers time.

2021 still no paterns?

This whole thing is pretty stupid in general. I mean, in 99% of cases, it's completely obvious why an app wants to access the camera. This should be optional at best. The world survived for at least a decade before this requirement surfaced.

Same thing happened to me today, 6 reviews later now they come up with this BS. Who implements this crap?

5th attempt now with the purpose string, sharing our history

• 1st attempt: App wants to capture photos and videos from camera. (REJECTED)
  • 2nd attempt: This lets you take photos and videos to use within the app. (REJECTED)
  • 3rd attempt: no change (resubmitted for another reason)
  • 4th attempt: Allow access your camera to capture images and record videos. (REJECTED)
  • 5th attempt: This will allow you to capture images and record videos directly from your camera within the app. You can use the captured image to your set your profile picture or when you want to share photos or videos with another friend in the chat feature. The app does not use any of the captured images and videos for any other purpose.

Will continue to update this thread.

• 5th attempt: This will allow you to capture images and record videos directly from your camera within the app. You can use the captured image to your set your profile picture or when you want to share photos or videos with another friend in the chat feature. The app does not use any of the captured images and videos for any other purpose. (APPROVED)

Add a Comment