Xcode 11.1 "Unable to Download Xcode"

So I tried installing this update three times. Each time all 7.6 GB "downloads" and begins the "Installing..." shortly after Xcode starts "Installing" I get a notification in the Notification Center "Unable to Download App" "Xcode could not be installed please try again later."
...Anyone else?

Replies

I tried a few times and it always failed. Finnaly looked into /var/log/install.log and saw this:

PackageKit: Install Failed: Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=501 "The package is attempting to install content to the system volume." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=The package is attempting to install content to the system volume.} {

NSLocalizedDescription = "The package is attempting to install content to the system volume.";

}

Perhaps somebody should tell the Xcode developers that installing in the system volume has become a NO-NO with Catalina 😟

Same here :-(

Gonzo, you're right. Same here, I see the same in the log! Apple needs to learn to cope with SIP themselves LOL...

Downloading Xcode 11.1 from https://developer.apple.com/download/more/ unarchiving and then moving it to the Applications folder solved it for me without having to uninstall the previous version (10.3).

Same on my mini late 2012,

I moved xcode 11.0 to trash

I rebooted

after that the download and install directly from App Store (xcode 11.1) worked fine for me

regards,

Michael

The same.

What a waste of time.

I now trying erasing old one and reinstalling 11.1

On the other hand I saw 100GB extra SSD space after erasing old XCode.

Eerasing and reinstalling is worked.

I have exactly the same problem. Tried 5 or 6 times
I will try the suggested download delete option.
I have also discovered that ~/Library/Developer is the main cause of my "other" disk space problem. Is it safe to completely remove it?

First copy your projects to an other folder or to an external drive or both to be extra safe. Then erase everything about Xcode. Then install new one. That is what I did and worked very good.

Same issue with Xcode update.

Same here have tried several time gives error message that it cannot be installed try again later.

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac17,1

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 32 GB

Boot ROM Version: 173.0.0.0.0

SMC Version (system): 2.33f12

Serial Number (system): DCPRLA4RH0Q4

Hardware UUID: 5DAF9AB0-6CD0-5704-BF29-814912DCC4FC

System Version: macOS 10.15 (19A583)

Kernel Version: Darwin 19.0.0

Boot Volume: Macintosh HD

Boot Mode: Normal

Hi. 11.1 Xcode update, s seems to download very slowly too for just 2GB. I'll try to update it in macOS Catalina Safe Mode (after I've backup up the whole hardisk with Time Machine), that usually work when things don't install or update.

I hope it updates on Safe Mode.

God bless, Proverbs 31

I had the neerly the issue:

Updated to Catalina - tried to update Xcode - download size 3.82 Gb - reached istallation, but stalled 3 times with the message Xcode could not be installed please try again later."

Ended up wtih removing Xcode completely using the AppCleaner app - emtied trash - restarted - downloaded Xcode from appstore 7.84 Gb and installation went well - everythings working again.

Modelnavn: MacBook Pro

Model-id: MacBookPro9,2

Processornavn: Dual-Core Intel Core i5

Processorhastighed: 2,5 GHz

Antal processorer: 1

Antal kerner i alt: 2

L2-buffer (pr. Core): 256 kB

L3-buffer: 3 MB

Hyper-Threading-teknologi: Slået til

Hukommelse: 16 GB

Boot ROM-version: 229.0.0.0.0

SMC-version (system): 2.2f44

Hope this can help others!

The solution completely resolved the issue through the following ingenious steps:

1. move xcode to trash

2. reinstall xcode from appstore

Same here. MBP Mid-2014.

Tried 4 times. Download 2.8G and begin to install 2 times, Download 7.6G and begin to install 2 time.

Same here, MBP 15-inch 2018,

2.9 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i9

32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Rebooted several times, shut down all other programs - same error every time. It's tries to install twice, then fails with error message: "Unable to Download App" "Xcode could not be installed please try again later."