xcode 11.0 no support for nsPopupButtons

Just launched xcode 1Version 11.0 (11A420a) and built and ran my app. The popup buttons show up as just the title, no box around it and no icon on the right to indicate a dropdown. The popup still works, just the UI is messed up.

Also, NSToolbar items with icons are messed up. Either the icon is empy or a weird image shows up. They work fine in xcode 10.

Replies

Sorry, didn't mention, I'm running Catalina 10.15 Beta (19A578c)

That is likely the problem.

When running my app, the apple icon in the upper left corner does not appear either.

OK, creating a new project in this scenario works fine. My project is about 4 years old now, so something is not compatible with older projects

I'm experiencing the same problem compiling my project on 10.15 / Xcode 11 (and 11.1). The issue doesn't present when compiling on Mojave. As you say, a new project works fine, so there's some incompatability...

If you figure(d) it out, I'd love to know your solution!

I am now running the 10.15 released Catalina. xCode 11.0 (released) and experiencing the same issues. Also an NSButton with an image has the image messed up.

This is just one of a plethora of bugs in XCode 11/11.1 Interface builder / Catalina's ability to interpret UIElements in .xibs. In my app it can't handle NSBoxCustoms and logs an error every time I load an image into a window. You should file a bug report with Feedback Assistant.

I went back to xCode 10 and these issues do not occur, so definitely an xCode 11.0 issue.

I filed a bug. No response.

In fact, I have two bugs filed and no response to either. Is anybody listening?

Same issue here. This is a huge issue that ANY software team is going to be facing that has a Mac app they created pre-Catalina. We really need a response from someone at Apple.

I get the same results, existing project is broken, a new project is fine. I've tried diffing the project files, but they seem fine.

Just out of curiousity, did your bug reports contain example code? We really need them to see what is happening.

Running my project with XCode 10.3 does nothing to solve the problems with the .xibs. I still get errors like:

2019-10-22 16:39:44.764172-0600 Appname[10316:215611] [Nib Loading] Unknown class NSBoxCustom in Interface Builder file at path...

and

2019-10-22 16:39:44.778901-0600 Appname[10316:215611] [framework] CoreUI: RunTimeThemeRefForBundleIdentifierAndName() couldn't find Assets.car in bundle with identifier: 'com.Appname'

so it looks like the problem is Catalina, not XCode.

Radio buttons and checkboxes also do not appear or work correctly if the app is built using Xcode 11

same app built with Xcode 10 works correctly on Catalina

These are app killer bugs with no known workaround

I built an app on XCode 10.2 and 11.2.

OSX 10.14.6 Mojave.

It has radio buttons and checkboxes.

All work without problem.

I built my app on Xcode 11.1 on Catalina 10.15.1 beta. Tested on same Catalina version.

I think you have to build and test on Catalina to test the latest SDK version. Mojave does not execute the latest Appkit SDK version for sure.

My released Mac App Store app version built months ago on Xcode 10 does not have these problems on Catalina.