Custom app - Rejected for small/niche users

Hello everyone!

I have built an app that was specifically developed for a niche set of users. The target audience is one large business familiy.

The app got rejected by the 4.2 guideline - "We found that the usefulness of your app is limited because it seems to be intended for a small, or niche, set of users", which makes total sense. So, what are my options now?

• Transform my account with Apple Business Manager and deploy a Custom App? Users then will be able to redeem the app using a link/code?
  • Ask them to create an Apple Business Manager account and deploy an In-House App. But then, I fear that they will need to deal with MDM, and that might be an issue.

Do you guys sugest anything different? Or maybe is the Custom App the way to go?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

If the target audience is employed by a single entity (or a group of related entities, which rolls up to one entity), then enterprise deployment is the way to go. Ask the business to get a DUNS number and apply for an Enterprise Distribution certificate.

You don't need MDM for enterprise distribution. The business' certificate would be included in every app, and users would only need to approve this certificate the first time they installed an enterprise app signed by the business.

Hello pbridi,

I would recommend going through the Custom App route as even though it has a higher up front cost to use in terms of time and organizational efforts, it does have additional benefits that the Enterprise program does not have. Apple is also looking to limit the number of organizations that have Enterprise accounts so getting new accounts at this time might be difficult.

The largest time saver for yourself when dealing with the Custom App route is not having to resign applications on an annual basis for your cllent. If you work with them and help them set up an Apple Business Manager account, instead of signing the application every year you will only need to update your application enough so Apple does not remove it from the Custom App Store (we see that they start requesting updates between years 3 and 5 of no updates).

Depending on how complicated your application is, the Custom App Store will have additional benefits like telling users that they have the wrong device type or a too old version of iOS instead of the application installing and turning gray because it is not compatible with the device resulting in a call to support.

Hopefully this helps!