Watch OS 6.0.1 Supervised Devices

WatchOS 6.0.1 on several supervised Apple Watch Series 3 and Series 4 devices failed to boot post installation of the update. The screen was stuck on the Apple Logo. A hard reset failed to fix the issue.

If I erase all content and settings, the condition of the watch can be fixed and it will be on WatchOS 6.0.1.

Erasing all content and settings on all managed devices is not an ideal solution.

Has anyone experienced this or have any solutions?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of DA.AllenBBL Down vote post of DA.AllenBBL

Replies

Over the weekend I confirmed that I was able to boot the Apple Watch when the profile was removed from the iPhone. This was tested with an initial boot and re-boot.

When the profile was reintstalled on the iPhone, the Apple Watch once again failed to boot.

Failed to boot = stuck on Apple Logo.

Next step is slowly building up the profile to see if any configuration setting is the culprit for the boot failure.

The boot failure is being caused by a setting in Configurator -> Restrictions -> Apps

Restrictions are set as follows: "Restrict App Usage" set to "allow only some apps". The apps are the settings app, phone app, watch app, and our developed application.

Obviously, some additional application is required for WatchOS 6 to boot that is not backward compatible with the old requirements.

Has anyone figured out which apps these are? This seems to be a persistent problem to iOS 13.3.1 and watchOS 6.1.2 with restrictions set.

This still is an issue, currently within watchOS 10.

@dankarlin @DA.AllenBBL Could you find any workaround/solution ?