AVAssetExportSession fails in compiling .mp4 video and .aac audio together on iOS13 device

Some of my code for combining an .mp4 and an .aac file together into an .mov file worked just fine since its very beginning, it creats an AVMutableComposition with 1 video track and 1 audio track from the input audio and video files. After exportAsynchronously(), the AVAssetExportSession gets AVAssetExportSession.Status.completed. Here is the Swift source code of the key function:

func compileAudioAndVideoToMovie(audioInputURL:URL, videoInputURL:URL) { 
        let docPath:String = NSSearchPathForDirectoriesInDomains(.documentDirectory, .userDomainMask, true)[0]; 
        let videoOutputURL:URL = URL(fileURLWithPath: docPath).appendingPathComponent("video_output.mov"); 
        do 
        { 
            try FileManager.default.removeItem(at: videoOutputURL); 
        } 
        catch {} 
        let mixComposition = AVMutableComposition(); 
        let videoTrack = mixComposition.addMutableTrack(withMediaType: AVMediaType.video, preferredTrackID: kCMPersistentTrackID_Invalid); 
        let videoInputAsset = AVURLAsset(url: videoInputURL); 
        let audioTrack = mixComposition.addMutableTrack(withMediaType: AVMediaType.audio, preferredTrackID: kCMPersistentTrackID_Invalid); 
        let audioInputAsset = AVURLAsset(url: audioInputURL); 
        do 
        { 
            try videoTrack?.insertTimeRange(CMTimeRangeMake(start: CMTimeMake(value: 0, timescale: 1000), duration: CMTimeMake(value: 3000, timescale: 1000)), of: videoInputAsset.tracks(withMediaType: AVMediaType.video)[0], at: CMTimeMake(value: 0, timescale: 1000));// Insert an 3-second video clip into the video track 
            try audioTrack?.insertTimeRange(CMTimeRangeMake(start: CMTimeMake(value: 0, timescale: 1000), duration: CMTimeMake(value: 3000, timescale: 1000)), of: audioInputAsset.tracks(withMediaType: AVMediaType.audio)[0], at: CMTimeMake(value: 0, timescale: 1000));// Insert an 3-second audio clip into the audio track 

let assetExporter = AVAssetExportSession(asset: mixComposition, presetName: AVAssetExportPresetPassthrough); 
            assetExporter?.outputFileType = AVFileType.mov; 
            assetExporter?.outputURL = videoOutputURL; 
            assetExporter?.shouldOptimizeForNetworkUse = false; 
            assetExporter?.exportAsynchronously { 
                switch (assetExporter?.status) 
                { 
                case .cancelled: 
                    print("Exporting cancelled"); 
                case .completed: 
                    print("Exporting completed"); 
                case .exporting: 
                    print("Exporting ..."); 
                case .failed: 
                    print("Exporting failed"); 
                default: 
                    print("Exporting with other result"); 
                } 
                if let error = assetExporter?.error 
                { 
                    print("Error:\n\(error)"); 
                } 
            } 
        } 
        catch 
        { 
            print("Exception when compiling movie"); 
        } 
    }

However, after I upgraded my iPhone to iOS13(beta), it always ends up with .failed status, and the AVAssetExportSession.error reads:

Error Domain=AVFoundationErrorDomain Code=-11800 "The operation could not be completed" UserInfo={NSLocalizedFailureReason=An unknown error occurred (-12735), NSLocalizedDescription=The operation could not be completed, NSUnderlyingError=0x2815e9bc0 {Error Domain=NSOSStatusErrorDomain Code=-12735 "(null)”}}

I've tested this on iPhone6Plus and iPhone7, both given the same result.

You can clone my minimal demo project with sample input audio and video files embedded in its bundle from here:https://github.com/chenqiu1024/iOS13VideoRecordingError.git

, run it and check the console output.

Is there any explanation and suggestion?

Replies

Another try: If I change the preset from AVAssetExportPresetPassthrough to AVAssetExportPresetLowQuality, then the status of AVAssetExportSession turns to be .completed on iOS13 devices. However, the exported video is invalid.

This issue also happens to me (xcode 11.1 + iOS 13.1 + iphone8).

While using the mp3 audio format instead of aac could get "completed" notification and correct output on iOS 13, but just could not aac. But we have some 4 channel aac audio which may lose info when transmitting to mp3.

Looks this is an issue happening on iOS 13 and aac format, but could not find any official update info on usage, i guess this is a new bug on SDK side. Hope it could be fixed soon.

Just wanna add in that I was having the same issue, thank you for mentioning "AVAssetExportPresetLowQuality" because that made it work for me. (My video file wasn't invalid? Just low quality. So in the end I used "HighestQuality" instead.)

Maybe someone solved this problem ? I have the same problem, when used AVAssetExportPresetPassthrough always fails, another preset always work great