Unable to install ipa through Xcode Devices and Simulators on IOS 13

I have an IPA file (Signed with a developer certificate) and I have no trouble installing it on an iOS 12 device. But the same IPA file fails to install on any device with IOS 13 installed, saying:

"A valid provisioning profile for this executable was not found"

I've made sure that both devices are registered on the team account.

Further, when attempting to install on iOS 13, using Xcode 11, I get no error message and instead the installation fails silently. I guess it's for the same reason, but the lack of any messaging seems like a bug.

Is there anyway to get more granular logs on why the provisioning profile was deemed invalid?

Accepted Reply

Never mind - the other device didn't seem to be on the provisioning profile. That should've been obvious...

It is strange though that Xcode 11 fails silently without a message.

Replies

1) Have you autopsied the profile

2) 'not found' and invalid are not the strictly the same thing...

3) Might want to sniff the Console (application) logs for additional info

Never mind - the other device didn't seem to be on the provisioning profile. That should've been obvious...

It is strange though that Xcode 11 fails silently without a message.

I know this question is two years old, but one helpful side note because I encountered this recently and lost all my hair:

We build .IPA files on a build server, and then install them onto developer's and tester's machines for testing. We also use TestFlight for production builds, but for development builds we don't.

When setting up a new developer/tester with a device, make sure the developer is able to build and deploy at least one app from the XCode UI onto the device in question-- this is how the provisioning profile "iOS Team Provisioning Profile: *" gets installed onto your device. When you go to Devices and Simulators > Cmd-Click > Show Provisioning Profiles, if you don't see the profile in the list, it may be an indication you need to force the provisioning by making a 'hello world' app and then building and deploying it to the device. Make sure to change the 'Team' to the same team that your .IPA files use. This process likely only works if your developers/testers are set up for 'All Apps' in the developer portal/App Store Connect.