Open .itl file in Music App

Hello All,

Is it possible to load an existing iTunes Library (.itl) file into the Music App in Mac OS 10.15? All of my attempts have failed.

Thanks

Accepted Reply

I was able to import the Mojave (iTunes) library by placing a copy of the library.itl in the music folder - used the "option key" when opening the Music app - it does ask to "Create or Choose" a library (just like iTunes) - so I selected the old library and the Music App then asked to save as a new "Music 1" library

Once I did that - it imported all the history, with play counts, ratings, genres and all the other info seems to be there intact!

• @oxtavio. Thank you so very much for posting this answer! You have no idea what it means to my wife who spent much time and created many iTunes music library playlists for over 10 years. My iMac recently died and I was a knucklehead for never saving backups via Time Machine. BUT I did save her mp3 files and most recent playlist file just days before the iMac died. With a new Flash drive installed and your directions, we were able to import our old files/playlist in the new Music player. And I now have a drive for which I perform regular backups! Thanks again!!

• Hi everyone, it seems he made it, but since English is not my native language I'm still not 100% sure about the migration Mojave>Catalina without losing my music library with ordered and detailed lists (which took years to reach). So if I upgrade to Catalina I open Music keeping CMD pressed it gives me the option to choose the iTunes Library.itl I have? But before it converts it I guess I must keep a copy of that .itl so it's protected against the Catalina adjustments? Thank you very much.

Add a Comment

Replies

I was able to import the Mojave (iTunes) library by placing a copy of the library.itl in the music folder - used the "option key" when opening the Music app - it does ask to "Create or Choose" a library (just like iTunes) - so I selected the old library and the Music App then asked to save as a new "Music 1" library

Once I did that - it imported all the history, with play counts, ratings, genres and all the other info seems to be there intact!

• @oxtavio. Thank you so very much for posting this answer! You have no idea what it means to my wife who spent much time and created many iTunes music library playlists for over 10 years. My iMac recently died and I was a knucklehead for never saving backups via Time Machine. BUT I did save her mp3 files and most recent playlist file just days before the iMac died. With a new Flash drive installed and your directions, we were able to import our old files/playlist in the new Music player. And I now have a drive for which I perform regular backups! Thanks again!!

• Hi everyone, it seems he made it, but since English is not my native language I'm still not 100% sure about the migration Mojave>Catalina without losing my music library with ordered and detailed lists (which took years to reach). So if I upgrade to Catalina I open Music keeping CMD pressed it gives me the option to choose the iTunes Library.itl I have? But before it converts it I guess I must keep a copy of that .itl so it's protected against the Catalina adjustments? Thank you very much.

Add a Comment