ITunes Library not loading in Music App

Hello All,

After a few bumps in upgrading my iMac from Mojave to Catalina I've been trying to load my large music library from iTunes into Music App. When I try to select my iTunes Libary to start up in Music (hold down Option + Music Icon) the music app does not read the .itl file and tries to create a new one. I have a large music library (20k mp3s) and I do not want to re-import all of them. Doing so will remove my play counts and ratings history. Is there a way to get this conversion to work? Is there another tool I need to use?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Accepted Reply

I was able to import the Mojave (iTunes) library by placing a copy of the library.itl in the music folder - used the "option key" when opening the Music app - it does ask to "Create or Choose" a library (just like iTunes) - so I selected the old library and the Music App then asked to save as a new "Music 1" library

Once I did that - it imported all the history, with play counts, ratings, genres and all the other info seems to be there intact!

Replies

Worked for my library with some 90K items using B7. Did not retry with B8.

Movies and Podcasts are another issue. But I can import those directly from the sources.

Did you do this using your iTunes library.itl file?

I was able to import the Mojave (iTunes) library by placing a copy of the library.itl in the music folder - used the "option key" when opening the Music app - it does ask to "Create or Choose" a library (just like iTunes) - so I selected the old library and the Music App then asked to save as a new "Music 1" library

Once I did that - it imported all the history, with play counts, ratings, genres and all the other info seems to be there intact!

I'm having this same problem. I tried the solution you posted, but it just loads and loads and never finishes. I left it loading for 14 hours and it never stopped. How long did this take for you?

• Hey @argument. How long did yours take in the end? I have a similar dilemma I left the first time over night and it still wasn't done. Maybe not 14 hours. But it just didn't look like it was doing anything... Any info would be great.

Add a Comment

Hey guys! same problem here. when I select my ITL file, it just starts to load and load. I left it on for about 8h but nothing. If i Import the library it take 5 minutes.. so shouldn't be that long the proces of opening an existing library. have you guys found a solution? cheers