iOS 9 broke UIImagePickerController on iPad

It seems that on an iPad running iOS 9, UIImagePickerController is totally broken when allowsEditing is set. No matter how you crop and scale the photo, only the top left part of it is returned in the imagePickerController:didFinishPickingMediaWithInfo: delegate for the image corresponding to the UIImagePickerControllerEditedImage key.

I filed rdar://22856685. Aside from writing my own crop & scale UI, does anyone know of a workaround?

Replies

I have the same issue and filed rdar://23064049

Late

FWIW I ended up setting allowsEditing to NO when running on iPad to avoid this issue. But of course that means those users can no longer crop and scale the image which is lame.

i did the same, but my client is still ****** and it won't sink in his head that I CANT FIX IT. This was discovered hours before the build was shipped to Apple.

You could use something like https://github.com/windshg/VPImageCropper .

any movement on your radar?

Hi,

I noticed now exactly the same problem and my customers are complaining.

Now 3 months have passed and we are on iOS 9.2.1 but still the same problem remains.

Does anybody have a workaround or knows if there is some activity on the radar?

Dear Apple,

PLEASE fix this. It is ridiculous that this is still a problem in iOS 9.3

Using a UIPopoverController to present the UIImagePickerController doesn't have this issue, but the UIPopoverController method is very ugly and many would prefer a full-screen solution on the iPad as well.

Any resolutions? iOS 10 seems to be having this issue as well...

Same issue on 10.1

I encountered this today, so looks like it's still not fixed. My solution was (popover anchored over the left barbuttonitem)...

let picker = UIImagePickerController()

picker.allowsEditing = true

picker.delegate = self

picker.modalPresentationStyle = .popover

picker.popoverPresentationController?.barButtonItem = self.navigationItem.leftBarButtonItem

present(picker, animated: true)

and it finally worked after 2 days of craziness trying to figure it why it crops properly on the iPhone and not on the iPad

And... still a problem in iOS 13. Really Apple?