Mobile Web Inspector doesn't work with Safari 13

Problem :

1 - Device is not shown in Safari when iOS device is connected and opened on a Safari Page.

2 - I can see in Xcode that device is well detected by OSX.

3 - it Stopped to work since Safari 13 release.

Expected behavior :

- See my connected device in OSX Safari to inspect it

How can i make it work ?

Replies

I’m having the same problem. Xcode updated, Safari updated and also tried the Safari Technology Preview!

The same problem here.

Sometimes (with my iPad pro 10.5) it helps to power down the tablet and power it on whilst being connected to the Mac via USB. The same procedure does not do the trick with my iPhone Xs. The phone will show up in the dev menu after booting only to disappear again after unlocking the phone and the SIM.

(Safari 13.0.1 / iOS 13.1.1 / iPadOS 13.1.1)

Hi,
I'm having the same issue, Been through several, rounds of revoking then reapplying the "Trust this device" options, weirdly, it would allow me to see Web Inspector Content up to the point I would enter my passcode on my phone and then, as soon as I did my device would disappear from the develop menu.
I don't have solid, reproducable proof yet but I saw in some other thread that theres an issue with the Charge status. So if your phone is at 100% charge (which being connected via the usb cable is quite likely) you won't see it listed in the Develop menu, but this morning with my phone at 46% charge there it was.
That said the experience is still very erratic so it might not be as simple as that.

Hi have the same issue, really annoying, inpact my workflow in a very bad way, any clue ?

Hi Tiyom,
So this was the thread that made the connection to the Battery charge status.

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/92290

What worked for me was:
1) Let your phone run down to 50% charge (Arbitary %, iOS has some kind of 'smart charge' around 80% setting the impact of which I have no idea about.)
2) Connect your phone via the usb cable and load up any webpage on iOS Safari
3) Go to the develop menu in MacOS Safari, hopefully you'll see your phone listed or a prompt to allow development
4) Under your phone's name there should be an option to "Connect via Network", tick that option
Until I selected the connect via Network option my phone would disappear again when it reached 100% charge but now it's been available for a couple of days straight now.
Also, out of sheer frustration I deleted xCode, can't say if that had any impact but the extra 14GB of disk space and the crunching sound of the trashcan as it emptied did make me feel a bit better for 15 minutes.

Thanks so much, your "connect via Network" solution did the trick for me after hours of frustration!

Hi there!

We are in the same issue. Anyone got any idea?

UPDATE:

Hi there,

It seems like i have an idea and it works.

You have to turn on the bluetooth and personal hotspot. Connect both using the bluetooh 'Connect to Network' and you can see your iPhone on the 'Develop' tab.

For me personal hot spot over USB cable worked.

Sometimes I have to disable WiFi on my phone as well.

It was a bit harder if trying to record iPhone's screen using QuickTime:

1. Connect QuickTime

2. Enable Personal Hotspot

3. Disable WiFi

This seems to work after updating XCode and opening it, whilst also using the Developer Preview of Safari

That was the solution! I ran XCode, which I have not done in a while. It wanted to install updated components, which I let it do. Then hey presto! my device showed up on the Safari menu. No other restarts, reinstalls or anything needed, just update XCode and run it.

If updating XCode component is not enough try "Clear Trusted Computers" Option at Configuration/developer in device (this done the magic with my IPhone)
Man, I tried everything, from closing all tabs to using wireless connection. Nothing worked.

Resetting the trusted devices helped:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202778#change

Solution taken from https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/87181?answerId=296307022#296307022

I can now debug my iPad mini 2 with iOS 12.5.1 again from my MacBook Pro 2020 M1 with macOS Big Sur 11.2.2.

Hope that helps others.
Okay, I rejoiced too soon. After 10 minutes, the same problem occurred again.

I am facing the same problem. I am unable to see my virtual device in safari and also Safari Technology Preview.

I am using: macOS big Sur 11.6 Safari Technology Preview 132 Safari 14.1.2

I was able to get my ipad safari to work with my mac devloper tools with these steps:

1. Turn off universal control on your mac System Preferences -> displays -> universal control
  2. close Safari on my ipad (make sure you close all instances / windows)
  3. Go into settings -> safari -> advanced
  4. Either turn on the web inspector, or turn it off and then back on.
  5. Launch safari on the iPad.
  6. on the mac click develop -> ipad -> select the tab you want to inspect.

Hope this helps! Bryan