Refund In-App-Purchases

Is there any way for us developers to refund In-App-Purchases to users? At the Google Play Store it is possible through the order management (see: https://i.imgur.com/FhhYAEu.png) but I can't find anything like that on ITC.

Accepted Reply

No. Any in-app purchases are actually with Apple. Only Apple can issue refunds.

Replies

No. Any in-app purchases are actually with Apple. Only Apple can issue refunds.

Thanks for the answer. Thats sad because some of Apples support stuff are telling the users that is something the developer has todo... I already had some users with such a reply from them.. Currently I ask my users to make those "claims" thorugh reportaproblem.apple.com...

>Apples support stuff are telling the users that is something the developer has todo.

While I agree the dev should ordinarily refer app purchase refund requests to apple, there is at least one IAP-centric example where Apple may tell users to contact the dev...when backend services tied to subscriptions are abruptly stopped.

See:

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/53712

I have heard similar reports. Many people, including sometimes Apple employees, don't understand how the App Store works. But I wouldn't be too sad about it. This is one nice things about the App Store. Developers don't have access to customer information and credit cards. That means we don't have to worry about things like PCI compliance. We also don't have to worry about chargebacks. I'm worried that one day soon all those developers complaining about the 30% are going to get exactly what they asked for.

I had an issue with an app charging 2 or more times for an in-app purchase. I report a problem to Apple and they just tell me to get lost, no refund. I made a claim with the app developer and they say only apple can control purchases.
BUT my question is IF the initial request to make an "in-app" purchase comes from the app then if there is a bug or malfunction with the app the Developer should take some accountability for the wrongful charge$?
So the customer is totally ripped off.
I can go to the card issuer/bank and report a fraudulent charge but that is a long process and could get that account blacklisted from the app store.