Setting the apns-push-type header to alert or background causes an InvalidPushType error

It appears since the release of iOS 13 on September 19th 2019 that APNS has introduced a new bug with the apns-push-type header that is provided when sending push notifications.

The documentation states that this header should be set to either 'alert' or 'background' depending on the type of notification.

I implemented this as described for my VoIP notifications, however APNS fails to send the notifications with an InvalidPushType error. This happens no matter what value I enter for this header, except for an undocumented value of 'voip'.

It also appears that omitting this header works as expected.

Please advise on the correct course of action:

1) Omit the header until the bug in APNS is fixed

2) Use a header value of 'voip' (undocumented)

Can anyone confirm that the APNS team is aware of this issue?

Thank you!

Replies

We are experiencing the same problem. Would appreciate documentation on what we are supposed to do.

Documentation for the new header -

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/usernotifications/setting_up_a_remote_notification_server/sending_notification_requests_to_apns

We are in the process of seeing if 'voip' really works, or just anything other than "alert" or "background" works...

-Thanks

We are facing the same problem with VOIP notifications.

After a conf call with Apple developers, they admit some content was missing on their documentation.

Also, AWS is not aware of this problem on SNS services, and we can't set the "voip" header as needed

Thanks,

André

It appears that alert style notifications work fine without this new apns-push-type parameter but silent notifications do Not get delivered either with or without this.

This is a pretty bad problem for my application.