Procedures for Independent Watch App Submission

Appe invited developers no less than 2 days ago to submit WatchOS 6 Apps: https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=09112019a

This includes the very promiss of Independent Watch Apps.

As the deadline approaches, I can't seem to fin how to submit an independent Watch App. All documentations refer to the old companion Apps. Nothing signals (yet?) independent watch App availability on AppStoreConnect and we have no clue on how to prepare the submission (new App Identifier, New Product Page? New Certificates... ?)

Anyone?

Accepted Reply

Yes! first create an bundle identifier from the Developer portal let say (com.myapp.watch)

Then your bundle ID for your targets should be as follows:

• MyApp (com.myapp.watch)
  • MyApp WatchkKit App (com.myapp.watch.watchkitapp)
  • MyApp WatchkKit Extension (com.myapp.watch.watchkitapp.watchkitextension)

Then when creating while creating a new app from the ASC portal select the Bundle ID (com.myapp.watch) for the new app.

After that it's normal procedure, archive from Xcode and Upload.

Replies

Yes!! I too have the same issue. No documentation of how to submit. I tried to create a new iOS app with the watch kit extension bundle identifier but that didnt work as the archive generated by Xcode for the stub target has a different bundle identifer than the Bundle ID available while creating a new app

I Have this same issue... I have built a brand new app, from the ground up that is WatchOS only. I do not get the option For the "independent" option in xCode. I have tested it completely stand alone both on the simulator and on my own Watch. Apple keeps sending me to the link that says "hit the check box" - but it's not there! Has ANYONE gotten a stand alone WatchKit app submitted?

We are all in the same boat I believe! Apple just released XCode GM Seed 2 a few hours ago. My guess is that things should start moving in a day or two! Let's wait and see... .

BTW, in case you're using SwiftUI, how do you come around the `.onDisappear(perform:)` not working using NavigationLinks?!

Guys I was able to upload an independent Watch App to ASC, you have to upload it as an iOS App

Thank you Nik!

Did you create an independent App Identifier for this? And did you then create a dedicated "iOS App" on the AppStoreConnect?

Yes! first create an bundle identifier from the Developer portal let say (com.myapp.watch)

Then your bundle ID for your targets should be as follows:

• MyApp (com.myapp.watch)
  • MyApp WatchkKit App (com.myapp.watch.watchkitapp)
  • MyApp WatchkKit Extension (com.myapp.watch.watchkitapp.watchkitextension)

Then when creating while creating a new app from the ASC portal select the Bundle ID (com.myapp.watch) for the new app.

After that it's normal procedure, archive from Xcode and Upload.

I don't have that issue... However, this morning the upload Is working... I had a call with Apple Developer support last night and there was an issue with the store before...