change icons in Catalina?

Is it possible to change icons in Catalina? I was able to change them somehow in beta3, but I can't remember how I did that. It was just so easy in Mojave and before. Anyone?

Accepted Reply

All problems concerning the possibility to change the icons are solved in 10.15.1 second beta. Wow!

Replies

I have the same question… Thank you.

sudo mount -uw /

Thnx Gerhard, worked great!

no prblem

Dear Gerhard,

Since you're more familiar with terminal, perhaps you could tell me what I have to do in order to change the Calendar-icon. The Terminal command sudo mount -uw / doesn't do the trick. The file seems to be blocked, and I don't know how to handle that issue. Perhaps you can help me (again!)?

Thanks!

1. Temporarily disable SIP from Recovery Mode (⌘R) > Terminal > 'csrutil disable' > 'reboot'

2. Terminal > 'sudo mount -uw /' > 'killall Finder' ( ← likely the secret sauce you're missing right there ; ), make desired changes > Restart… > Recovery (⌘R) > Terminal > 'csrutil enable' > 'reboot'

3. Profit!

Thnx, jaycastle! It worked!

Dear jaycastle,

I unmarked your answer, because it doesn't seem to wrok in the offcial Catalina (whereas it fantasticly worked in de beta versions!). Could you help me again? Or is it just impossible to change the icons in Catalina? I would regret that, so I hope you know the solution!

Thnx in advance!

.VolumeIcon needs to be in /System/Volumes/Data/

An alias of .VolumeIcon needs to be in /

With Sip disabled, 'sudo mount -uw /' > 'killall Finder' and logged in as root i managed to change this.

(Copy-paste icon on HD, move it to /System/Volumes/Data/ , make alias in /

Dear peterharte,

.VolumeIcon needs to be in /System/Volumes/Data/

An alias of .VolumeIcon needs to be in /

These are my settings too, but it doesn't do the trick. I'm not sure what you mean by "(Copy-paste icon on HD, move it to /System/Volumes/Data/ , make alias in /"

(I'm looking for a way to change all my icons.)

Thnx

Just tried the following:

In root, sip disabled and mount..etc, i deleted .VolumeIicon and alias in 2 locations.

copy-pasted an icon onto System/Volumes/Data/ AND /. (Data is the same name as your HD, but different location)

Instant change and .VolumeIcon on 2 locations (no alias)

Restarted and icon holds. Didn't try this as user yet, just as root

Hope this helps!

A very simple solution for my porblem was installing LitIcon: that did the trick! Thanks anyway!

Thanks for this. 'sudo mount -uw /' > 'killall Finder' was was indeed the secret sauce on all app icons, finder dock icon, and a sudo rm command to delete the notification center icon from the menu bar.

But not, oddly, the system Applications folder. Only one I couldn't change. Not the end of the world, but any one have any idea why that is/how to fix it? I hate unsloved puzzles.

Nice one Hans!

Try LiteIcon 4.0! Worked for me.