macOS Catalina Files disappeared.

Hello,

I know there are mutliple threads about this issuer, yet this there is no solution found in them, and they don't exactly match up to the problem.

so here is the changelog for the icloud section.

iCloud

Known Issues

• After updating to macOS Catalina 10.15 Beta 7 or later, iCloud Drive might synchronize for an extended period of time. If you notice any missing files, they can be found inside a Recovered Files folder in your home folder. (54046219)
  • Even when Optimize Storage is switched off, iCloud Drive might fail to automatically download all files. (50667204)Workaround: Download files individually.
  • When creating a new Pages, Numbers, or Keynote document in a shared folder, you might see the message “Couldn’t connect to iCloud”. (50827963)Workaround: Close and reopen the document.

Resolved Issues

The Cloud Files section in About This Mac > Storage > Manage now accurately represents the current state of files on your Mac. (50362095)

now it is true that the files disappeared, i've tried everything from relogging in icloud, turning documents&desktop off and on, basically everything i could. now for the last part that i find strange.

• my files were removed locally
  • my "recovered files" folder only had folders in there, and non actual files.
  • the folder "desktop" in icloud drive seems empty when checking from my mac (desktop - icloud, not local)
  • the files that i assumed to be on icloud are still there when looking from safari/phone.
  • when enabling "Desktop & Documents Folders" in icloud drive options, clicking Done and going to options again automatically disables the tick.

while looking at "About this mac > Storage" i can see a lot of shifting in the available disk space it goes down, and goes up again for no apperant reason, network doesn't seem to be downloading anything.

is there anyone with any idea how to let it download files again to your system?

redownloading the files is not really an option because they're nested, and a little over 1k files. so if there's no way to solve this i'll just have to trust this issue is getting fixed next beta

Replies

This also happened to me, but some of the local deletions that happened with the last update actually got pushed on the servers, causing quite a problem. Also, I noticed that over the course of the betas, the Documents folder that was synced with iCloud got duplicated a couple times and also moved to another completely different directory.

I suffer from the same icloud drive syncing issue. I tried what you did to recover its function in a macbookpro and imac, but fail. Its like the connection between icloud drive service and mac-end is not existed in terms of low upload and download speed. Hopefully it wont delete any files on cloud storage.

Yes, folders are synced without any files.

But duplicating did not happen to me.

same issue.

tried to roll back to mojave on a Imac pro....what a night mare..im stuck with catalina..reinstalling

Hi guys, is the problem solved? I still can't see any files on my mac! Catalina is a misunderstanding!

Add me to this list. My documents on my mac with MacOS Catalina are not syncing with the rest of my devices. I too when checking the sync desktop and documents in icloud drive options, after checked go back in and the box is automatically unchecked. Which again stops the syncing with the rest of my devices. Is there any resolution for this? I am running late 2013 mac pro with 10.15 Beta (19A546d).

i'm in the same dirt...what shall we do?

+1

I'm in the same position after the latest update. Hope to find a fix soon.

Check my solution here, I need feedback if it work. Should also fix App Store purchased app issue. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250718438

Same thing happened to me. I lost all my files. 2nd time for me. The first time I lost so many important documents and photos (from a camera). This time I found the documents by clicking off, on the iCloud. I am ready to throw the while thing away. I can’t afford to loose more files. Is Apple is trying to protect me from myself.... they need to stop. I’m ready to go back to Windows. What do I try next? How do I keep from having this happen again?

I just upgraded to Catalina too, all my website files have vanished, I have back ups from 2004. This update just destroyed me, they're all gone, I cannot believe this has happened. I've been at it all month trying to download all 84 websites is insane, so far it's been a week of just downloading, looks like it's going to take another 3 moths before I can get back to where I was 2 months ago. Obviously there's no fix yet, today is Oct. 10, 2020 <Shakes and drops head> bye bye mac. I have to go back to the pc, this has become a complete nightmare!