per-App VPN with IKEv2 rather than custom ssl vpn Server.

Dear Eskimo,

Greetings !!

With my folding hands I am also here. 🙂

PacketTunnelProvider PER - APP is Executed with CUSTOM SSL vpn Server in :-

Created Fresh App with extenssion + Configuration Profile (loaded with CUSTOM SSL Server & provider type tunnel not proxy ) + loaded on iPad + run the App with extenssion and it's connected as per-App vpn (app ttached with vpn configuration + connection established without disturbing other ipad traffic.)with UBANTU CUSTOM SSL Server .

But now I want to connect it with IKEV2 vpn Server information rather than custom SSL vpn server where i am failed .

Steps done :-

Same App + Configuration Profile (updated with IKEV2 Server Info & provider type tunnel not proxy ) + loaded on iPad + run the App with extenssion and it's not connected with IKEV2 Server. 😟

May you help me there what i need to do to connect with IKEV2 Server connection as per-App VPN.???

Replies

Are you trying to use your own implement of IKEv2, embedded within your own NetworkExtension packet tunnel provider? Or are you trying to use the system’s built-in IKEv2 client?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Eskimo , Built in IKEv2 client means connection through NEVPNManager class right ? I done this in separate demo application and it’s connecting successfully but not as per- App VPN. That’s why I went on packet tunneling with extension using NETunnelProviderManager. Created a proper configuration profile as well and loaded on iPad with app. I want to achieve per-App VPN in any way whether it is built in or packer tunnel provider, may you guide me there ?

It is possible to achive per-App VPN configuration through Build-in IPSec clients (IKEv1 and KEv2) that WWDC video also saying

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2015/717/

Also I want to tell you that please check above video from Time duration of :- 25:02 , where engineer clearly mentioned that we support Build-in IPSec clients (IKEv1 and KEv2) for per-App VPN as well but I don’t have any information regarding this.

ScreenShot Attached :-

So i want to achive per-App VPN with Build-in IPSec clients (IKEv1 and KEv2) only, Please guide me there as soon as possible,it will be a big help from your side!!

Built in IKEv2 client means connection through

NEVPNManager
class right?

Right, but that doesn’t help you with per-app VPN because

NEVPNManager
will only let you set up Personal VPN, and per-app VPN is only supported on managed devices. If you want to set up per-app VPN, you must:
  • Create the VPN configuration using a configuration profile, specifically the Per-App VPN (

com.apple.vpn.managed.applayer
    ) payload [1]
  • Configure the app-to-VPN mapping using MDM [2]

As there are no APIs involved, this is outside of DTS’s purview. For help with this, you’ll need to talk to Apple Support.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

[1] See the Configuration Profile Reference.

[2] On iOS. On macOS you can use the App-to-Per-App VPN Mapping (

com.apple.vpn.managed.appmapping
) payload.
  • Create the VPN configuration using a configuration profile, specifically the Per-App VPN (
    com.apple.vpn.managed.applayer
    ) payload [1]
  • Configure the app-to-VPN mapping using MDM [2]

These steps also i done and i am able to connect with Custom SSL VPN Server as well!

But i want Build-in IPSec clients (IKEv1 and KEv2) connection for per-App VPN.

Tried to modified Configuration Profile for this but dose'nt work !

May you give me any Apple Support Contact detail where i can get some information regarding this that how we can execute per-App VPN with Build-in IPSec clients (IKEv1 and KEv2). ?

i am confident about this due to WWDC video :-

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2015/717/

Waiting for Apple Support detail, Thanks in advance !!!

Apple Support can help you with VPN configuration issues. A good place to start is their AppleCare Professional Support page.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”