Can't use sidecar

Hello, I am on the latest catalina OS on my 2018 macbook air and ipad OS on my ipad mini 5.

Everytime I try to connect to my ipad from the airplay drop down menu, I get an error that states "Unable to connect to "leo's ipad" Sidecar requires a newer version of ipadOS". But checking for any new updates on my ipad gives me nothing at all.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Replies

exact same error.

Same issue. It started when I updated to a newer verision of Catalina yesterday.

Sidecar not working on Beta 4 for MacBook pro 2018 & iPad mini 4. Sidecar connection displays "no devices". Hardwired Lightning to Thunderbolt-3 connection.
Weirdly, I got this to work in Beta 1.

Sidebar broke after updates to Public Beta 3 19A512f for MacBook Pro 2015, and to iPad OS version 17A5534f. Sidecar preference displays "no devices". Hardwired Lightning to USB-A connection.

Same thing. It worked perfectly before Beta 3 and afterwards it just doesn't. No matter what I tried, MacBook Pro 2017 doesn't see my iPad Air 2 displaying "no devices". Update to Beta 5 didn't fix the issue just like Beta 4.

Same issue Macbook Pro 2016 and iPad Pro 10.5" connected physically with USB type C to USB type C cable. The iPad Pro shows in the eligible Sidecar device list, but when selected gives the aforementioned error --> " .... Sidecar requires a newer version of macOS". But I'm already running the latest Beta ...on both sides Mac and iPad.

same issue

That issue was fixed in the latest Catalina update.

I have a new issue today though.

MacBrook Pro 13" 2016 w/Toouchbar - Catalina 10.15 Beta 8

iPad Pro 12.9" 2018 - iPad OS 13.1 Beta 3

Direct USB-C cable between devices. Macbook using iPad to tether. I get an error when trying to start Sidecar saying "Wi-Fi is not enabled on the device." referring to my iPad. I was kinda working before I tethered but I had to try several times to get it to work. That's since the lastest Catalina update.

Acrtually this is now working. You have to disconnect the wireless tether and plugin the cable first, it will then tether through the cable as well as sidecar.

What do you mean by disconnecting the wireless tether?

Usually when I tether, I use bluetooth. I had this connected before I plugged in the cable for Sidecar. It seems that sidecar doesn't like working when using Personal Hotspot. If I disconnect the wireless connection then plug in the cable, the Macbook connects to the iPad using the cable for sidecar and then uses the cable for Personal Hotspot as well.

I just found this list from a 3rd party site. The iPad Mini 4 appears to have dropped off the list. It was working fine in the first iPadOS beta. I wish Apple had given us some notice so I could have stopped wasting my time.

iPads that support Sidecar

To use Sidecar with your iPad, your tablet must support either the first- or second-generation Apple Pencil. These include:

Apple Pencil:

• iPad Air (3rd generation)
  • iPad mini (5th generation)
  • iPad (7th generation)
  • iPad (6th generation)
  • iPad Pro 12.9-inch (2nd generation)
  • iPad Pro 12.9-inch (1st generation)
  • iPad Pro 10.5-inch
  • iPad Pro 9.7-inch

Apple Pencil (2nd generation):

• iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation)
  • iPad Pro 11-inch

iPadAir2 don't support sidecar from feedback assistant.
Sidecar support applepencile support model only.