Beta7 (19A546d) and iCloud Documents -- mostly vanished?

After the upgrade to 19A546d this morning, my iCloud documents are largely empty, which is causing the sort of chaos one might imagine. Not sure if they'll magically fill in later, but, other than a handful of folders, everything is gone. All app-based folders like Pages, Numbers, Preview, and so on, are impacted. Submitting Feedback now, but, thought it worth giving a heads-up.

Replies

Some of my files disappeared completely. I have the iCloud sync active.

After some time my desktop folders appear on iCloud and my mac Desktop but there are no files from the last 3 days! I was working on an important project and there is no backup for those files! Can't believe, it's a nightmare for me.

I was able to recover the iCloud folders/files by restoring two of my machines from a backup. Took forever, even with a T1 connection, but the folders/files are now all on my computers. This really shouldn't be the state of affairs for software that is about to go "live." *None* of the previous betas presented this much of a problem. What on earth happened?

Times are changing... This is the worst beta updates that I have seen. My guess is that the principle that says that testing a new version before it is (even beta) released should take more time than functional specs, design specs, and coding together, that principle has not been applied. I used to install betas as they came out, that will no longer be the case in the future.

This seems to have resolved itself in the last two days for me.

Same for you?

I did turn off icloud on my mac and restart my computer and then turned it back on. That didnt immediately seem to fix it but later that day I noticed my files were resyncing

I have the same problem but nothing helped so far. iCloud drive of, reboot, on, reboot... Sign out of everything, reboot, sign in etc. Fix system prefs etc. Desktop stays empty, documents stay empty and in the recovery folder there are only a few items. Far from everything.

Luckely all my documents are still in the cloud and can be accesed on iPhone an iPad.

Beta 8 just came out, can anyone confirm this fixes somthing?

Thanks,

Jonas

Beta 8 brings (for me, at least) the App folders back. I then activated "Documents & Desktop" in iCloud settings, which finally worked (means: it stayed selected), but these folders are now more or less empty. As the data in these folders is still visible in iCloud.com and on my other devices, I assume it will now sync and with a little patience I hope to have all my documents back....

Hi NoComment,

Any luck on the syncing? Beta 8 did the same thing for me. Documents and Desktop stayed selected... but I've been waitin all day and nothing synced up until now. I stil have all the files on iCloud.com and my other devices so nothing is lost... I hope someone finds a routine to follow so items start downloading again and we can see our files back in the right location.

Jonas

I didn't expect it anymore, but finally all the folders and files appeared in my Documents folder in iCloud Drive. Unfortunately, not at the latest version, which I can at least prove for one file that I edited in my "local" Documents folder in beta 7, and I can't find it anywhere on my file system.

But I'm happy that finally all the apps folders are here and Documents&Desktop@iCloud is working again.

Same issue in Catalina Beta 8.

The problem is that it initially extended to all Mac and iOS devices. In short, for ~24 hours I could access iCloud Drive only through Safari.

After downloading a file from Safari (as suggested in other threads) all folders became visible and accessible both on the Mac (Mojave, I did not access the Catalina disk since the onset of the problem) and iOS.

After ~24 hours iCloud folders are still accessible without problems in iOS devices, but I most of them became invisible on the Mac (Mojave), both through the Finder or the specific application (e.g. Keynote).

On the other hand all iCloud folders and files are still accessible through the Terminal (~/Library/Mobile Documents), and files can be opened and saved through there.