Catalyst Dark Mode Broken in Beta 7

My two apps, that worked perfectly in Dark Mode since Beta 6 are now broken and show light content in Dark Mode.

I use custom Color Assets and everything worked fine before ...

Replies

I’m surprised no one has responded to this. Same thing for me—dark mode worked fine until the beta 7 update.

Same here—various backgrounds/labels went back to the light color even when in dark mode.

In Catalina Beta 8 and Xcode GM it doesn't work for me as well. If I assign a color (of an asset) to a view, it sets it based on the current active theme. The compiled app ignores the current theme.

In Catalyst builds with Xcode GM seed running on Catalina beta 8, dynamic system colors .label, .systemBackground and .secondarySystemBackground that are set in Storyboard do not adapt to dark mode. They should, but they don't. They do adapt properly to dark mode on iOS, but not on Catalina beta 8 through Catalyst. A workaround is to have an outlet for every label, text field and background view, and to explicitly set the text color and background color in code. Though this is tedious, it works and has no negative impact on the iOS build other than code bloat.

Be aware that in the Catalyst build, an iOS dynamic color is mapped into an "Equivalent macOS color" as described in the Human Interface Guidelines section on iOS Apps for Mac. But equivalent does not mean the same, and the description of how that mapping is done is not entirely clear or complete. The combination of apparently broken behaviors (dynamic colors not set propertly from Storyboard) and apparently intentional changes in color through this mapping from iOS colors to macOS colors, makes it hard to get proper dark mode behavior on macOS through Catalyst.

Same here. I'm currently in Xcode last beta before GM. Has anyone tried in GM Seed 2?