Catalina Beta 7 removed all iCloud synced Documents, no sign of an attempt to redownload

Is this a universal thing?

All my iCloud Documents have been removed from the machines on the beta. They're still there in iCloud.com and on other devices but there's not even a hint of an attempt to resync them to the computers on the beta.

Accepted Reply

These are now downloading on at least one machine. Think it was just a time thing and perhaps exacerbated by us having a large number of files in iCloud.

That said, any task that needs over 10 hours of uptime on an i9 Macbook Pro requires clear indication of what's going on to the user.

A regular user can't be expected to poke around in the Activity Monitor to see what bird, cloudd and fileproviderd are doing and even when I looked I couldn't see any signs of activity.

Replies

I should add, the Recovered Files process mentioned in the release notes failed to capture the vast, vast majority of the files that were on these machines.

This was the case for a few minutes after I updated to Beta 7. But suddenly all the files appeared in my iCloud Drive Desktop & Documents folders. (I was about half way through entering a feedback item.)

It sounds like I've got some problem then. Some delay after a clear I'd expect but I'm now talking many, many hours with machines at different locations.

Out of curiousity, roughly how big are your document folders? Because mine running ~200GB might be contributing some.

These are now downloading on at least one machine. Think it was just a time thing and perhaps exacerbated by us having a large number of files in iCloud.

That said, any task that needs over 10 hours of uptime on an i9 Macbook Pro requires clear indication of what's going on to the user.

A regular user can't be expected to poke around in the Activity Monitor to see what bird, cloudd and fileproviderd are doing and even when I looked I couldn't see any signs of activity.

Same problem here but no sign of anything downloading yet (1 hour after upgrading) - I'll take some reassurance from your post and wait patiently for some action.... Thanks

same here. I've got a copy in Recovered Files but it's incomplete...

No files are downloading after more than 24 hours. 😢

I have the same issue. Files still hidden after 24 hours. I can check the Documents & Desktop Folders in the Apple ID section, but it becomes unchecked after I re-open. A peculiar shortcut folder appeared on my desktop called "Real iCloud Drive" but it has no useable files in it. I also cannot send iCloud mail, but I can recieve it. Multiple iCloud, iCloud, icloud, servers - but none work. Beta 7 appears to be a dud due to multiple iCloud issues. iPhone and iPad iCloud unaffected. I plan to use web iCloud in the interim.

Same problem here. Toggling does not solve the issue.

I presume you filed a bug so I don't have to.

I rebooted after turning iCloud Drive off and on. Then waited. It started syncing after 30 min.