IOFireWireAVCUserClient question

I am trying to rewrite old FireWire CamCorder controll command line utilities into XPC Service.

• Old utility was modified version of simpleAVCSample.c in legacy sample code
  • And existing command binary works on macOS 10.14
  • I tried same IOKit/IOCFPlugIn code in Application or XPCService
  • But they failed at following step
    kern_return_t result = IOCreatePlugInInterfaceForService(
        service, kIOFireWireAVCLibUnitTypeID, kIOCFPlugInInterfaceID, &interface,&score);
    // 0xe00002be = kIOReturnNoResources in IOReturn.h

And always console.app logged sandboxd rejected as:

Sandbox: testAVC(8332) System Policy: deny(1) iokit-open IOFireWireAVCUserClient
    Violation:       System Policy: deny(1) iokit-open IOFireWireAVCUserClient

But this is always logged even if I DO NOT check sandbox entitlement.

I also tried "com.apple.security.device.firewire" entitlement, because /System/Library/Sandbox/Profiles/Application.sb contains following part as:

(when (entitlement "com.apple.security.device.firewire")
      (allow iokit-open (iokit-user-client-class "IOFireWireUserClient"))
      (allow iokit-open (iokit-user-client-class "IOFireWireAVCUserClient"))
      (allow iokit-open
             (iokit-user-client-class "IOFireWireAVCProtocolUserClient"))
      (allow iokit-set-properties (iokit-property "SummonNub")))

But it also does not help.

Please give me some hint how to resolve IOCreatePlugInInterfaceForService() error.

Replies

But this is always logged even if I DO NOT check sandbox entitlement.

That’s weird. If you don’t have the sandbox enabled, you should never hit sandbox restrictions. I recommend that you confirm that the sandbox really is disabled. One good way to do this is to run

codesign
against your XPC Service’s pid. For example:
$ codesign -d --entitlements :- `pgrep Finder`
… lots of entitlements! …

You can then check for the presents of the App Sandbox entitlement (

com.apple.security.app-sandbox
).

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Hi,

Thank you for your comment.

I have figured out that

- IOFireWireAVCUserClient seems to require NSCameraUsageDescription in Info.plist.

- "missing - NSCameraUsageDescription" causes reject by sandboxd, in following sequence.

- This behavior is independent from the check state of sandbox/hardened in capabilities.

Anyway it works as intended now.

Regards,

//

18:55:37.759125 +0900 tccd -[TCCDAccessIdentity staticCode]: static code for: identifier com.mycometg3.testAVC, type: 0: 0x7fc3ca40b230 at /path/to/testAVC.app

18:55:37.769802 +0900 tccd Prompting for access to kTCCServiceCamera from ......testAVC.app/Contents/MacOS/testAVC

18:55:37.770843 +0900 tccd Refusing TCCAccessRequest for service kTCCServiceCamera and client .....testAVC.app[26457] without NSCameraUsageDescription key

18:55:37.771494 +0900 kernel sandboxd rejected approval request from testAVC for kTCCServiceCamera

18:55:37.772322 +0900 testAVC IOCreatePlugInInterfaceForService returned -536870210/0xe00002be

<snip>

18:55:37.986210 +0900 sandboxd Sandbox: testAVC(26457) System Policy: deny(1) iokit-open IOFireWireAVCUserClient

//