Launch screen in dark appearance

Is there any way to support dark appearance launch screens in apps with deployment targets lower than iOS 11?

Trying to use dynamic colors I get the following error: "Named colors do not work prior to iOS 11.0."

I read that you can use "System background color"... but that's just the background. What about other (custom) colors? It seems that Apple really forgot about something fundamental here.

Accepted Reply

In case anyone else is wondering how to do this.

I managed to achieve what I wanted using resizable images. Images can have a dark/light appearance and can be used in iOS versions prior to 11. I had to mimic the UI elements using UIImageViews. The hardest par was getting the constraints for different size classes right.

PS: I tried the UIImage approach before... but it only started working with the latest Xcode 11 beta 7.

Replies

In case anyone else is wondering how to do this.

I managed to achieve what I wanted using resizable images. Images can have a dark/light appearance and can be used in iOS versions prior to 11. I had to mimic the UI elements using UIImageViews. The hardest par was getting the constraints for different size classes right.

PS: I tried the UIImage approach before... but it only started working with the latest Xcode 11 beta 7.