Storyboards deprecated w/ SwiftUI or not?

Hi guys,

So now that SwiftUI is coming out in xCode 11. Should we keep using storyboards and xib files going forward, or should we only use SwiftUI going forward, and eventually migrate storyboards over? Will it be possible to configure projects to use SwiftUI as splash screen instead of having storyboard? What about main.storyboard?

Because now there are several ways of doing same thing, I'm assuming some of it is going to be deprecated in a long run?

Thanks,

Chris

Replies

SwiftUI is not replacing storyboards ; it may replace xib in some cases.

But IMHO, SwiftUI is still far from providing the capabilities of xib. Just read in SwiftUI forum to see how developers are struggling to replicate what is easily done with xib and storyboards and autoLayout.

In addition, I find SwiftUI verbose, with the succession of .attributes(). But that may be just a question of practice.

So, I don't fear storyboards and xib to disappear in the next 5 years ; and I will keep using them.

Might want to ask yourself if you intend to include support for < iOS 13...

If you do, you can't use SwiftUI alone, but you can still use Xcode 11 w/deployement set lower, so...see https://forums.developer.apple.com/message/364021#364021

I expect a mix for some time...look how long XIBs hung around after Storyboards came out.