iOS Backrground Sync Alternative?

Hi,

Is there any alternative for background sync/background app refresh?

The goal is to be able to retrieve data from our servers periodically when app is suspended/not running.

Accepted Reply

I was instructed to find an alternate for background app refresh

Those who instructed must have a concern about app refresh. Could they explain ?

May be they want to port lately to Android and don't have equivalent there ?

I do not know of alternative.

So, if really critical, could burn a DTS ticket to Apple support. They will let you know for sure.

Replies

Why can't you use background app refresh ? Have you specific requirements ?

The goal is to be able to retrieve data from our servers periodically when app is suspended/not running.

It is intended for that

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/uikit/app_and_environment/scenes/preparing_your_ui_to_run_in_the_background/updating_your_app_with_background_app_refresh

Hi Claude31,

I can use that.

But I need to know whether any other alternative way is there to acheive the goal.

When the app is in background, ir relies on system services to do anything (and this is done under system control, which may adapt the service to resource constraints, such as reducing frequency for long tasks).

So, I don't think there are a lot of (simple) alternatives ; furthermore, why try something else if system services fit the need ??? I probably miss something in your needs.

Hi Claude31,

I was instructed to find an alternate for background app refresh .

So that i am searching whether alternate is available or not?

if no alternate , i think then i can use background app refresh.

Your suggestion Please.

I was instructed to find an alternate for background app refresh

Those who instructed must have a concern about app refresh. Could they explain ?

May be they want to port lately to Android and don't have equivalent there ?

I do not know of alternative.

So, if really critical, could burn a DTS ticket to Apple support. They will let you know for sure.

Hi Claude31,

Thanks a lot for your support