Can I notarize an app with a 32-bit component (for older versions of macOS)?

I am getting ready to release a notarized version of my app. It supports back to Mavericks (10.9), so I would like to have two versions of a tool, a 32-bit version that works on the older systems, and a 64-bit one that works on more recent systems. I would use whichever tool is appropriate based on the runtime environment.

But this brings me to the question: can I successfully notarize an app which has a 32-bit tool in its bundle? I haven't been able to find an answer to that question so far.

Thanks for any pointers!

John

Accepted Reply

Shouldn't be a problem. I've notarized plenty of fat binaries.

Replies

Shouldn't be a problem. I've notarized plenty of fat binaries.

It supports back to Mavericks (10.9), so I would like to have two versions of a tool, a 32-bit version that works on the older systems, and a 64-bit one that works on more recent systems.

While this should work, I’ve no idea why you’d want to do it. The last macOS release that supported 32-bit machines was 10.6.8. If your deployment target is 10.9, there’s no good reason [1] to be shipping 32-bit binaries.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

[1] Well, there are some good reasons, but they’re quite obscure. If you think you need to do this, please write back with an explanation of your rationale and we’ll take things from there.