NSWorkspace `open( ... )` Apple Event handler

NSWorkspace has the method `open(_:withAppBundleIdentifier: [...] )`:

> Opens one or more files from an array of URLs.

func open(_ urls: [URL],
         withAppBundleIdentifier bundleIdentifier: String?,
         options: NSWorkspace.LaunchOptions = [],
         additionalEventParamDescriptor descriptor: NSAppleEventDescriptor?,
         launchIdentifiers identifiers:) -> Bool

---

The NSApplicationDelegate *of the app you want to open* has corresponding methods that are called to open the URL(s) you provide:

func application(_ sender: NSApplication, openFile filename: String) -> Bool
    func application(_ sender: NSApplication, openFiles filenames: [String])

---

Back to `open(_:withAppBundleIdentifier: [...])`, that method has an NSAppleEventDescriptor parameter:

> **`additionalEventParamDescriptor descriptor: NSAppleEventDescriptor?`**

> Additional options specified in an AppleEvent-style descriptor. For example, you could use this parameter to specify additional documents to open when the app is launched.

---

###I would like to send additional information to the app that will open the files.

This would be used similarly to the `userInfo` dictionary on a notification.

I've constructed a `NSAppleEventDescriptor` object to represent this information. I can set this event descriptor in the NSWorkspace `open( ... )` function.

But how do I **receive** this event descriptor in Application Delegate of the target app?

The `application(_: openFile:)` functions have no parameters for the event descriptors or any other "`userInfo`"-type additional information.

---

## Code

Based on answers and other questions, I settled on the solution below. I am now getting a triggered handler for Apple Events. But the Apple Event that I am setting on the NSWorkspace function is not the one that is received in the handler! How do I get **my** Apple Event instead?

---

## Send

let appleEvent = NSAppleEventDescriptor(eventClass:       AEEventClass(kCoreEventClass),
                                        eventID:          AEEventID(kAEOpenDocuments),
                                        targetDescriptor: nil,
                                        returnID:         AEReturnID(kAutoGenerateReturnID),
                                        transactionID:    AETransactionID(kAnyTransactionID))
appleEvent.setDescriptor(NSAppleEventDescriptor(string: "THIS IS A TEST"), forKeyword: AEKeyword(keyDirectObject))

let didOpen = AppKit.NSWorkspace.shared.open([URL(fileURLWithPath: "/path/image.png")],
                                             withAppBundleIdentifier: bundleID,
                                             options: [.withErrorPresentation],
                                             additionalEventParamDescriptor: appleEvent,
                                             launchIdentifiers: nil)

### Sent Apple Event:

> `<nsappleeventdescriptor: 'aevt'\'odoc'{="" '----':'utxt'("this="" is="" a="" test")="" }="">`

---

## Receive

class AppDelegate: NSObject, NSApplicationDelegate {

func applicationDidFinishLaunching(_ aNotification: Notification) {
        NSAppleEventManager.shared().setEventHandler(self,
                                                     andSelector: #selector(handle(event:replyEvent:)),
                                                     forEventClass: AEEventClass(kCoreEventClass),
                                                     andEventID: AEEventID(kAEOpenDocuments))
    }

@objc func handle(event: NSAppleEventDescriptor?, replyEvent: NSAppleEventDescriptor?) {
        guard let event = event,
            event.eventClass == AEEventClass(kCoreEventClass) && event.eventID == AEEventID(kAEOpenDocuments) else {
            return
        }

guard let directObject = event.paramDescriptor(forKeyword: keyDirectObject) else {
            return
        }

print(directObject)
    }

}

### Received Apple Event:

<NSAppleEventDescriptor: 'aevt'\'odoc'{ '----':[ 'bmrk'(888/$626F [....] 00000...$) ] }>

Can anyone help me understand why the Apple event I send along with NSWorkspace `open()` is not the Apple Event that I receive in my handler?

Sorry for the wall of text above (easier to see in markdown)

Please let me know if there's anything I can add.

Replies

I also posted about this on Stack Overflow here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/57438168/how-to-send-and-receive-nsappleeventdescriptor-when-using-nsworkspace-to-open-ur/57458823

I found that if I `open(...)` the URL:

`[Bundle.main.resourceURL!]`

then it works correctly. My Apple event is merged with the "default" bookmark apple event.

But if I open the files URLs I actually want to open, it does not work.

The handled Apple Event will then ONLY contain the default bookmark apple event, as posted in my original post.

on the Stack Overflow thread I have discovered that if I select a `.JPG` image the `additionalEventParamDescriptor` IS included with the event.

But if I select a `.png` or `.pdf` file, also on my desktop, the additional event is NOT included.

Very strange and I'm not sure how to explain.