Clarification RE: Preserved Pricing for Auto-Renewable Subscriptions

If I raise the price of an auto-renewable subscription but choose to preserve pricing for existing subscribers, what happens when one of those existing subscriptions lapses? Can the user reactivate their subscription at the same grandfathered price, or will they be forced to pay the higher updated price at that point?

https://developer.apple.com/app-store/subscriptions/#managing-prices-for-existing-subscribersstates, "If users upgrade, downgrade, or crossgrade within a subscription group, they will pay the current price of the new subscription," which makes me think that a previously-grandfathered user will lose their lower subscription price if they cancel or lapse, but I'd appreciate confirmation of that interpretation!

Replies

I talked to Apple support, and they said that if a customer paying an older, lower subscription price lapses due to a billing failure, they will continue to pay the lower price so long as they correct the billing issue within 60 days. After that, they must re-subscribe to the new, higher price.

Quite reasonable. Thanks for the information. I assume that if they purposely cancel the subscription then the 60 day period is exhausted should they decide to resubscribe. Is that correct?

>billing failure/issue

Key words those. Wonder if Apple attaches any qualifiers. I suspect it's no questions asked unless the user is flagged as a repeat requestor.

Thanks for the followup and good luck in the store.

Ken

Yes, that is my understanding, per the last sentence in this section: https://developer.apple.com/app-store/subscriptions/#managing-prices-for-existing-subscribers

I've seen many times "you can choose to preserve pricing for past subscribers" but no where does it say what I need to do to choose this. I have a price increase ready to press go on but I want to ensure that my past subscribers are locked in at the price they joined at and they aren't charged more next month.