Catalina beta 5 causing late 2015 iMac to freeze when left unattended

Since this only happens when I return to my comptuer, I assume there is some kind of bug with power-saving features? In any even my screen will be frozen, keyboard and mouse unreponsive, and the magic trackpad isn't even doing its fake click anymore. Reading the console messages is, as usual, unhelpful.

Replies

I can confirm that moving the photo library to the bin solved this problem for me (MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015)).

Thanks for the hint.

That works, thank you.

Thanks for the update. I was also having the same problem. Beta 5 has been awful.

Yes, this also worked for my 2015 iMac. I turned off iCloud syncing for photos and just deleted the photo library--I personally don't mind doing this because my Photo library is also locally saved on a non-Catalina server Mac, which in turn is backed up to Backblaze, but I agree that if your photo library in Catalina is the only local copy you have you should absolutely not delete it.

Same problem here on my 2015 iMac.

Installed Amphetamine, switch it to the "always on" and the iMac stopped freezing...

Partial solution until next beta. Hope it helps...

Happens on MBPr 13 inch, Early 2015. It occurs when connected to power and when running on battery.

Logging in after restart takes really long time, sometimes up to 3 mins.

Same error here on MacBook Air late 2015, time varies starting screensaver until problem accours... maybe depends on which screensaver you choose. unfortuantely couldn't monitor activity monitor as other posts suggested, because usally problem happens after screensave and machine left unattended or idle.

Anyway, more details are submitted to Apple as Feedbacks, FB6836476, FB6859281, FB6932400, and FB6960161.

THANK YOU!

I noticed that this issure only happens when the computer is plugged in to a power source. I have no issues if I unplug the charger from my MacBook Pro, it happens as soon as I plug it in.

This didn’t work for me unfortunately.

Same.

I have a MacBook Pro Early 2015 in Catalina Developer Beta 5.

And I have another MacBook Air Mid 2012 in Catalina Public Beta 4 without this problem.

I don't know why.

Latest Beta seems to have solved the problem

Yes, same here... :-)

Same here. 40 minutes and no freeze.

It has been disappeared on a MacBook Pro Early 2015 in Catalina Developer Beta 6.