Create triangulated mesh and calculate volume from ARKit point cloud?

As title says, I have a point cloud gathered from ARKit depth data and I want to 1. Create a mesh, then 2. Calculate the mesh's volume

I looked into QHull briefly, but the only Swift implemention I found of it was 4 year old, unmaintained code, and it wasn't written straight forward enough for me to feel comfortable using it - I might take another look in the meantime.

Another thing I tried was Python interoperability and one of the python packages which does this like Scipy, but Python interoperability isn't yet available for iOS.

I need to show this app to stakeholders in ~2 weeks, and I have a few other things I need to get done besides this.

Any other ideas? I'm trying to come up with an algorithm but I think this is just a very hard problem. I'm leading towards doing this in the cloud temporarily. I don't think stakeholders will be happy that everything isn't happening on the device, but it might be a saving grace while I find a better solution.

Also I should note: the real problem here is creating the triangulated mesh, once you have that it's easy to get a mesh's volume

Thanks!

Replies

I also think it is a very hard problem. In addition, if the mesh is made from disjoint objects, what will volume mean ?

But thus not the right forum: would be better in an AR section.

A 4 year old implementation, if it is just the algorithm, should not be a big problem. But integrating everything and testing your code to deliver in 2 weeks will be a challenge!

With regard to your question about disjoint objects, I have groups of objects I'm scanning which are all of a small size, and I have a separate list of SCNVector3 for each object. I'm getting the volume for each object individually.

My solution as of now is to use an AWSLambda - I send up a JSON array of my 3D points, calculate the volume in 3-4 lines of python code, then return an Int. I'm mostly happy with this solution - it's very performant for the number of 3D points I'm doing, and setting up AWS in the app wasn't too much of a headache.