Apple TV 4K crashed need to be restore tvOS 13

I updated my Apple TV 4k without usb-c port using tvOS 13 beta 2 ota. Now my Apple TV 4K shows a warning triangle the provides a link to support.apple.com/appletv/restore. I was not able to restore the Apple TV. So I brought it to an Apple Store they were not able to help me.

• Hello Dear If you have some technical experience about soldering work then please open your apple tv 4k and target to hidden debugging port. Its back side of Ethernet port in this port 6 number pin is mode selection pin if you give 1V-1.8V max then apple tv 4k going in reset factory settings. I think its work for your apple tv. i am mentioned details about debugging port. https://www.theiphonewiki.com/wiki/J105aAP

Add a Comment

Replies

I’m in the same position. Any luck?

I’ve had the same experience. I installed iOS 13 beta on a development Apple TV 4K. After unsuccessfully trying to restore with Xcode and Configurator, I was directed to the Apple Store for further support. They said I was out of luck, that Apple removed the USB-C port for a good reason, and that my only course of action was to pay $150 for a new Apple’s TV 4K.

I'm very disappointed. As a developer, I knew the software risk of installing a beta which is why I chose to install on secondary hardware while I tinkered. I didn’t realize there was a potential I’d be out $150 with zero help from Apple.

• There is a quality problem silently being addressed by Apple. The problem is caused by the update of the firmware, which then bricks the device. Symptom is that the device can never fully reboot again sometimes just showing a flashing white light, other times going through the boot cycle showing the Apple logo and then immediately rebooting again.

I’m on my 3rd Apple TV 4K replacement under this pseudo warranty recall going on. it’s a free replacement only if your time is worth nothing

Add a Comment

Yeah totally unacceptable since you can connect to it OTA from your Mac should be able to backup via iTunes like the older Apple TV's.

Also, guess they didn't get the memo or this doesn't apply to the Apple TV? since it clearly states:

Will installing public beta software from the Apple Beta Software Program void my hardware warranty?

No, installing the public beta software does not void your hardware warranty.

https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/faq

Gonna get out of this beta as soon as I can figure out how since only have single ATV and can't afford to brick it not to mention latest

Latest Update 17J5540d

is pretty buggy.

Thought it bricked my ATV 4K after the update at first since it booted up to a blank screen but apparently related to the new home airplay2 activate with other device changes and multiuser changes in tvOS 13.

Just a few mihutes ago, I was browsing through the movies app looking for something to rent on my Apple TV 4K and wasn't having any luck, so I switched over to the TV app. Upon loading the TV app, it locked up. I fiddled with buttons for a couple of minutes trying to get the app to quit, but no luck, so I finally hit the key combination that's supposed to restart the Apple TV...

And after a few moments, it did restart... or tried to. After about 35-40 seconds of black screen, I got the "⚠ support.apple.com/appletv/restore" screen. Of course since it's a 4K, there's no USB-C port, so I can't restore it, based on the support page and discussions here.

Aaaaand the warranty has expired. This sounds like a bad spot. Maybe those of us hit by this will be lucky and someone from Apple will arange to take care of this. Having a device irrevocably bricked by a beta is pretty unusual.

Yeah went back and looked at the beta EULA Apple makes you accept to get access to beta and section #9 it does say Apple might help you but it's up to them and looking at the beta forums doesn't look like anyone from Apple even looks at the postings here anymore so best bet would be to file a BR with the details and how it bricked your device IMO.

9. No Support and Maintenance; Future Products. During your participation in the Beta Program or in a particular seed, Apple is not obligated to provide you with any maintenance, technical or other support for the Pre-Release Software. If, at Apple’s option, such support is provided, it will be provided in addition to your normal warranty coverage for your computer and/or device. You agree to abide by any support rules and policies that Apple provides to you in order to receive such support.

https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/legal

Exact same scenario for me. Locked up on Youtube stream. I rebooted using the remote. It is just out of warranty. Apple support asked for $150 to replace. I am frustrated beyond belief as I have 4 of these 4K Apple TVs.

Yeah, it's pretty disappointing treatment, given we're helping them out by testing this stuff. It's exceptionally unusual for a beta to brick devices this late into the beta cycle (which is why I always wait until later betas before I install in the first place), and even a bricked device is usually recoverable through a software restore. It's certainly not my fault Apple decided to remove the ability to do a software restore to an unbootable Apple TV 4K. I hadn't even realized they'd removed the USB-C port until I went to do the restore after this happened. 😟

Same here...latest developer release bricked 4K device. 3 months left on warranty.
Will not replace.

Me too! Streaming YouTube on TVOS 13 beta and it froze up. Now I get the yellow triangle restore URL screen and Apple told me I'm SoL.

in fact, Apple phone support made me an in-store appointment and vaguely said they'd take care of me and replace it for me. So, I went down there expecting a new or refurb unit, but instead they said I am welcome to buy a new one since my warranty lapsed. I have had some absolutely awesome customer service from Apple, but this one was a big fail!

My 4K is bricked as well. I'm switching to FireTV since Apple is completely unresponsive to resolving this issue for us.

So I've probably had the same issues everyone else has been having. I take it that others have had failing tvOS updates and it's probably corrupted the system files. Things eventually progressed to where my Apple TV 4k would only boot into recovery mode and the remote not working. If you don't have an alternate way to communicate in with the device (ie. apple configurator/xcode, paired w/ iOS remote), you're SOL. I was able to trigger the full restore w/ iOS remote app.

Just happened to me as well. Pretty frustrating - didn't realize there wasn't a usb-c on the 4k, I just assumed there was (because it would be really stupid to not have one TBH).

how did you trigger the full restore with the iOS remote App?

Actually there is an additional port hidden inside the network port. So with a special cable I found on ebay, my Apple TV 4K 2017 now connects via lightning cable to my mac. A "restore apple tv" via Finder or Configurator is still not possible, as there is no system image available (error message), and using OTA files do not work, and IPSW files are not available anymore like for older Apple TV models. Does anyone have a solution for this? The only option I got from Apple support was "buy a new Apple TV 4K". Pretty disappointing...

Depending on your country, your consumer rights outweight Apples "warranty". The product is NOT fit for purpose if there is no other way of restarting the device should a firmware update or install crash (which happened to me). It is NOT acceptable to pay extremely good money for a streaming device (top end) and not be able to get three-five years out of it absolute bare minimum ... is poor design, ability to handle a base image, or dual image should anything go wrong, is NOT the issue for the consumer.

• @Tomlink Hello Dear same issue i have found in my Apple TV 4K. I am open it and soldering cables and make USB cable. it's need ipsw file. Previously i have crashed my Apple TV 4K then i am doing same process and using checkra1n tool so my apple tv 4k is start again normally. But now my iOS version is 15.1.1 and unfortunately checkra1n not support this version.

Add a Comment